My first project with Ultra 3000's

rssql

Can anyone offer any "Best practices" for setting up the following system?

CompactLogix L43, 2 Ultra3000's with Sercos.
The application is a 100 ton stamping press, where the servos are the X and Y axis of the location to punch a hole.

How about some basic programming example of moving the servos?

I have the RSLogix5k CD, and the RSTrainer CD for Motion, but i always like to hear someone who has "been there" to tell me what they think.

thanks,
Jeff.

ok, here's a specific question.
Using the MAJ jog instruction, do i keep it enabled as long as i want the axis to move, or do i enable it for one scan, then stop the motion with MAS instruction?

Hallo !

I am just working on a simular project

Its a L-43 Processor with 2 Sercos Ultra 3000 with Y-Motors

I would send you the configuration, but the board didn´t let me upload a .acd or .L5K file

sorry for that

regards

Bernd

rssql said:
ok, here's a specific question.
Using the MAJ jog instruction, do i keep it enabled as long as i want the axis to move, or do i enable it for one scan, then stop the motion with MAS instruction?
The MAJ is a transitional instruction. Once initiated, it will continue until you stop it - MAS would be the normal method.

If you use tags for speed, direction, etc. then you can change them and re-trigger the MAJ to get the modified action.

Be very careful with the MAJ instruction. Once you kick off the motion with the MAJ instruction the axis will continue to move until you issue a MAS instruction. A crash waiting to happen unless you have a lot of travel distance with no obstructions.

I would suggest that you start out with some small incremental moves using the MAM instruction until you get a feel for how the logic is going to work.

I always thought that it was odd that A/B uses the word "Jog" in their motion control software to mean "move continuously until interrupted".

To the average person, jog means only move when you hold the button (or enable the rung?!?!). With A/B motion, Jog means run indefinitely in one direction at a programmed velocity.

Another one that "throws" people at first: Feedback On/Off. A lot of folks mistakenly think that means you are turning the encoder/resolver monitoring on and off, but what it really means is you're enabling/disabling the drive and feedback loop that controls position. When Feedback is off, the motor can be moved freely, but the position value is still updated (as long as it's associated hardware is up and happy). When Feedback is ON, the drive is enabled and the position loop is closed in the controller. If no motion is being commanded, the drive/controller will attempt to hold the current position with Feedback On.
I don't have any experience with Sercos, so that's about all I can add...

Thanks for the assistance.
How about Homing? MAH?
I will have a narrow beam photo eye to detect the edge of the product.

If you're talking about setting Axis Zero for the X and Y axes for each part, homing isn't really necessary. You can move each axis until you see the edge and use the "Redefine Position" (MRP? -- I don't have a manual in front of me and its been a while but I think it is "MRP" - Sorry) instruction to set the Axis positions to Zero at that point.

Once the "Zero" points are established you can move the axes to the position for the hole and then fire the punch.

There should be a jog button that initiates MAJ, when the button is activated MAJ is initiated soon as you let go the button MAS should initiate. This way the person jogging the Axis has control when to stop. This will eliminate run away Axis. On top of that you should also activate MAS when the limit in the direction of the jog is activated.

where can i find these sample downloads on ab site
i went to knowledge base, logged in, but can not find sample code.

thanks