Programming CompactLogix vs SLC5/04

JustDaveIII

I'm working up a quote for a system and the buyer wants a AB CompactLogix PLC. I've never used one. The buyer's Controls Enginer is overloaded but has done the elec. dwgs including the I/O and wants me to do the plc programming & debug & startup.

I'll have 5 PID loops, some motor control, process alarms (temperatures, flow, etc.)and use CTC P1 for an HMI. Regular local rack I/O,, no other communications other than the P1. Nothing fancy here.

I've been doing PLC's since 1980 (starting with 5TI, M484) and have done many AB PLC2, PLC5, SLC systems and many other PLC's, HMI's, too many to count A true Controls Engineer of the world. :)

Since the CompactLogix is new to me, anyone got an estimate as to how much programming/punchin/debug time more or less, it's going to take, compared to SLC 5/04 ?

Please don't include learning time as I'll factor that out of my quote, just interested if CompatLogix & RSLogix 5000 take more or less time to do equivelent ladder (from start programming to ship it) than RSLogix 500 & SLC5/04.

Thanks,
Dave

The biggest difference you will probably notice is RS Logix 5000 is tag based. RS Logix 5000 also offers function block programming if that interests you at all. If you dont factor in the learning curve, I would imagine it would take about the same amount as most programming software!