PLC for process control trainer

ade

Hi All,
I am on my way to make a 4 loops process trainer (i.e. Level, Pressure, Temperature and Flow). I want to control all 4 loops by a single PLC, so I need at least 4 analog input and 4 analog output.
I have read OMRON catalogue, but not in detail, I pay my attention into OMRON CQM1 series.

Can anyone tell me if OMRON CQM1 can accomodate such application for PID loops?

Any comments, clues, directions are highly appreciated.
Rgds,
ade

The CQM will offer the various I/O modules you will require. I would suggest looking at their web site - https://omrwsc.am.omron.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=115565&langId=-1&categoryId=15743
However, you will require at least 4 analog modules (1 for inputs, 1 for temperature, 2 for outputs) or if you use the combo module you will only require 3 modules, not to mention the CPU, power supply and rack.

Even though it will be able to do what you require, it will not be the most economical solution. Depending if you have software or not, will likely put your application well over the $1000 (closer to $2000) amount. Much will also depend on your supplier and their discount structure.

For instance, a Smart-PAK PLUS would accomplish your I/O requirements in a two board system for under $700.00 including software. The downside - you would have to create your PID in ladder logic. Not impossible but can be done.

All in all, I would suggest contacting your local Omron dealer to discuss your application.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

Greetings ade ...

regardless of what type of controller you finally decide on, you might want to consider the following idea when it comes time to actually start building the trainer ...

hotrod_strip.JPG

the terminal strip circled above is very important ... all of the “process/application/instrumentation” wiring lands on the top row of screws ... the students install their own “control” wiring to the bottom row of screws ... this way they get a “hands-on” feel for connecting power, switches, and of course, the PLC/Controller itself ...

even if you decide to have the wiring between the system and the controller “pre-done” to save classroom time, it’s a VERY good idea to include the strip anyway ... it gives you an easy way to “marshal” the connections between the field devices and the controller ... the biggest advantage is that now you can easily change from one type/brand of controller to something completely different - without having to rewire all of the system components to the PLC ...

big idea: no matter what type of controller you decide to use, sooner or later (usually sooner) some other type will turn up and you’ll have to deal with it too ...

good luck with your project ...

G&L MMC (sometimes available on ebay) with their analog block I/O module that has 4in/4out. One of many solutions available. Also, PicPro software for MMC is fairly cheap and no activation key stuff to worry about.