control net configuration

SCAN.PLC

Hi all,

I am installing new 1756-IR6I RTD modules in one of the Controlnet Nodes .
I have a plant down for 20 minutes for this work and put system back in run mode.
Here is the method i think i should follow for this work.please correct me if am wrong any where.

1.Take plc to program mode.
2.Upload plc program and Control net network .save it to hard disk.go offline in networkx.
3.Install the rtd modules .
4.Add rtd modules in PLC program I/O configuration.
5.Downlaod modified PLC program.go offline in RSLogix 5000.
4.Go online with controlnet network (RS networx )
5.Click enable edits,file > save as > optimise and rewrite .(i think here it will download configuration to active controlnet keeper node and allow the newly installed RTD modules to
join the network for communications ).
6.Put the plc back to run mode.

Is there any way to assure that network is configured and all nodes and i/o modules are communicating to controller before taking the controller to run mode.

Please suggest if there is any other better method to do this.

With regards
scan.plc

Last edited:
Download or reschedule the Cnet in Rs networx after downloading the ACD file

Note:-
If have the Ver 15 then you don't need to reconfigure I/o you can do it in online

Hi praveen,

What about Controlnet configuration.
V15 can support the I/O configuration online then how i can configure cnet when Controller is in RUN mode.i believe to configure the controlnet network ,PLC should be in program mode.

scan.plc

Lookout this

In order to further extend the applicability of the ControlLogix platform in process applications, Version 15 of RSLogix 5000 provides the ability to add 1756 I/O at runtime both in the local chassis and in a remote chassis over ControlNet. This feature provides a method to add a direct connection to 1756 I/O without having to stop the operation of the process application. When using ControlNet, the I/O that is added in a remote chassis goes into the unscheduled bandwidth of ControlNet. See the Runtime Addition of 1756 ControlNet I/O White Paper, publication no. LOGIX-WP006, for additional information and design considerations.

I just referred that publication .
its really a great feature fo v 15.
Thanks for the information.I am currently using v13 L5K.
I hope to recieve v15 soon next year begining from rockwell.

thanks once again.

scan.plc

Hi,

Unfortunately i found NUT in the current running Controlnet File (.XC) to 5ms.
As per the recomendations from AB it should greater than 10ms to add any new I/O modules.

I believe if try to add I/O modules with current configuration (NUT 5ms) then i may risk of controlnet dropping the connections because of small NUT .

suggest if it ok to add with 5ms NUT.
I have 7 nodes on this network .And i am addning 5RTDs totallly in local and remote chassis.

SCAN.PLC

10ms NUT is a recomendation just because your additional I/O online (ver 15) will be using unscheduled bandwith (until you re-schedule). Unscheduled bandwith typically much wider with 10ms NUT vs 5ms

With ver 13 you will have to re-schedule anyway.

All depends on how many scheduled connections you have right now and their PRI.

And i am addning 5RTDs totallly in local and remote chassis.
Modules in Local chassis will not use CNET bandwith so you should worry about remote connections only.

Last edited: