Simple PLC recommendations?

oyster

I am considering my first PLC application to replace some old relay and timer circuits mainly small water pumps and float switch level controls. I am attracted to 'kits' such as AB Pico or Mitsubishi Alpha 2 which include a program, cable etc. Is this a sensible way of getting started?

There is also the KM Easy.

Or the AB Micrologix, im sure the software for that is free for a certain number of program steps.

Hello oyster,

You may also consider a small brick style PLC, AB Micro, you can also look at automationdirect.com there software is free with a size limit and the PLC's dont cost very much

The Pico's that I have are programmed from the unit itself, no cables, no software, so the cost is good, but you also want to look into a larger PLC

thanks

many thanks for these quick replies which I will now follow up.
Incidentally, I am impressed that this board has found the Guernsey flag for me! Most websites dont know where it is and I often have to check out as the Vatican or South Georgia to avoid paying VAT!!

Cheap and Easy

geniusintraining said:
Hello oyster,

You may also consider a small brick style PLC, AB Micro, you can also look at automationdirect.com there software is free with a size limit and the PLC's dont cost very much

The Pico's that I have are programmed from the unit itself, no cables, no software, so the cost is good, but you also want to look into a larger PLC

Complete software is under $500.00 US dollars and cables run under $30.00. DL-6 PLC (brick with 4 expansion blocks) run under $300.00.

Deliever is fast and you can actually talk to a human being when you call tech support.

Just about everything I used to do with Micrologix I try to do with these PLC's now.

Mark, Clay B

I know when you guys recommend AutomationDirect it's based upon the (from what I read in this forum) excellent value and service you receive from them in the US....

I'm not so sure its such good advice to users from this side of the pond though, it looks to be run by a franchise here in the UK and the prices look to be significantly higher (~50%), the website doesn't offer online shopping etc. etc...

www.automationdirect.co.uk

Just my 0.02 worth...

Kevin H

**Edit**
... and they have saved themselves £18 by not having the 'No Banner Ugrade' from the hosts, Easyspace

Last edited:
Clay B. said:
Complete software is under $500.00 US dollars and cables run under $30.00. DL-6 PLC (brick with 4 expansion blocks) run under $300.00.

Deliever is fast and you can actually talk to a human being when you call tech support.

Just about everything I used to do with Micrologix I try to do with these PLC's now.

I can say the same. DL-06 is a good plc and if you need to use the sequence instruction for control, it is easy to configure.

krk said:
...I'm not so sure its such good advice to users from this side of the pond though, it looks to be run by a franchise here in the UK and the prices look to be significantly higher (~50%), the website doesn't offer online shopping etc. etc...

Hi Kevin,

Thats bad news for you boys on the other side, I think you would of liked them, they are good for the projects that you want someone to buy into due, to the low cost. Its easy to talk someone into automation when its cheeper then any other way

Have you considered the Siemens LOGO range? The company I work for have started introducing these all over the plant for small applications. Unfortunately the software isn't free but it is extremely easy to use, (Even by me with very little experience). The software uses function blocks to program, ie icons that you interconnect with others to create your program. Sounds a bit strange but believe me it's very easy when you see it in action.
The units can be programmed using their lcd screen, but it is quite difficult, especially if you've never done it before.

Worth adding that they can also be programmed in ladder if you wish / prefer.
Anybody else have experience with these units? They are the only "small" units I have programmed, but have also had a dabble with the Mitsubishi FX range, which I believe are a "brick" style.