A sensor for a conveyor belt

Gromit

Hello,

Could you please recommend a contactless sensor for detecting the tearing of a rubber conveyor belt?
May be some of the Siemens BERO sensors?

Are you looking for a complete tear, or even it starting to tear? Also, even though it is rubber, does it have metal embedded in it?
George

If there is a measureable difference between motor loading with a torn belt compared to the drag of a good belt, you could set up an underload detector (actually an undercurrent detector) on the motor leads. ABB and Symcom make these for motors on mag starters. If the motor is powered by an inverter, some inverters have underload detection faults or one of the output relays can be set up as a current level detector. On the drives I am most familiar with (ABB) you can set up delay time on underload as well so you don't tend to get nuisance tripping.

In my experience, you have to be very careful about setting up the level detection to avoid nuisance faulting from routine operating conditions.

An expensive option could be a measuring light screen such as Banners A_gage mini arrays however you would need room to place the reciever and emitter this option could work if your belt is moving slow enough