New here and need some SLC 500 help

hchad18

First of all hello, I am new here and fairly new to the PLC world. I work for a company that has had no one to do this for them and I retained a laptop from my old company to get started with. It has RSlogix500 and RSlynx lite 2.3 I think. I got a 1747-pic cable from plccables.com and am trying to connect to a slc500-L30c usind the 1747/aic driver. I have connected to 3 slc500's 2 with cpu faults and one that was running and cannot see them in lynx. The driver is running and I have tried different baud rates. It sees the work station but no PLC. In the drivere diagnostics it says packets sent and recieved the same. Dont know if that matters but any help would be appreciated. Also the computer has an actual serial port thats set to com1. Maybe I got a bad cable?

Thanks

When you configure the 1747-AIC+/PIC driver in RSLinx, what Node Address (Station Number) did you assign to the driver? You should set the driver's Station Number or Node to 00. If you assigned it to 1 or 01 (or any other number other than 00), you may have a node address conflict, in which case the SLC's would not appear in Linx. If these SLC's are not networked together, they are probably still set for the default address of 01.

Hi:

First of all you didn't mention how you are conectinb the PC to the PLC's.
The 1747-L30c has a DH-485 interface so the only way to comunicate it with a pc is thru a 1747-pic interface that has to be connected to the com1 port of the pc.
So the best way is try communicate one plc at a time and the you can decide what to do.
To comunicate a pc with a 1747-L30C just go to rslinx lite the go to configure driver then on available drive type pick 1747 PIC AIC then ADD NEW the choose the name by default then accept baud rate by default and you can be able to see your plc thru rswho.
If you can't see them you can try changing baud rate, and if after trying several configs you can't get them communicate then begin to suspect of your PIC interface or your port.

william

The station number stayed at the default of 00. I also tried 01. The max sta number is 31. These are stand alone plc's, not networked together. Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you also have an RS-232 DF1 driver running? If so, shut down and delete any other serial drivers that may be configured. If no other serial drivers are running, see if you have RSView Studio installed on the PC. If so, go to the Windows Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. Look for RSLinxNG.EXE (not RSLinx.EXE); if you see it, highlight it and click the End Process button. This is RSLinx Enterprise for RSView Studio, and if it is running, it has control of your serial port. Then re-try the PIC driver in RSLinx.

No rslinxng.exe. Do not see RSView Studio and no other drivers except 1747 pic aic+. I deleted the serial port so it would reinstall it. Changed from com 1 to com 2, dont know if that'll even work. This computer has connected before. If I hook up a serial mouse to the serial port it should tell me it is working, right? I have Directsoft and a rs-232 cable but no available PLC's to test with and of course no other cable.

Is any of the DirectSoft stuff running? I only used DirectSoft a couple of times about 8 or 9 years ago, but I recall it causing problems with RSLinx if any of that stuff is running.

Well, at this point I would suspect the PIC knock-off you're using. I've never heard anything bad about them, but they surely have product defects from time to time like everyone else.

OK I now have another cable, this one an allen bradley cable 1747-pic. And still cannot connect. I've been told some computers just have problems. Is this maybe my issue? Tommorrow I'm going to try to connect to a scl 5/04 with another cable, to make sure the port works. Today I have two processors with blinking cpu faults that I cant make run. UUrrrrrgggg!

you cannot access the CPU? maybe the serial port is configure to shutdown mode or configure to DH485, If you try to connet via PIC -AIC there no way you can do it.

Nigasai

Make sure the PC's serial port is set to use the standard interrupts and IO address as well. Windows doesn't usually care, but third party software is pretty picky sometimes.