RSView32 DataLog Files

cntrlfrk

I have some old wide format data log files that I would like to retrieve data from. Is this possible with TrendX? Can I import it into Excel?

Any help would be appreciated.

hi:

I know there is an utility to convert rsview datalog to excel, i used it the other day, i found it in the knowledge base at www.ab.com.
I do not know if old format is compatible with the utility but try and let us know.

william

cntrlfrk said:
I have some old wide format data log files that I would like to retrieve data from. Is this possible with TrendX? Can I import it into Excel?

Any help would be appreciated.
They're just .dbf files and Excel can read them directly.

Doh!

Hadn't even tried it.

A couple more questions.

When I open the data files, the labels for the columns across the top have a column labeled 'Sts_01' ..02,..03 etc... Most are empty, some are full of U's. What are these?

Some columns which seem to have data are labeled simply--5,6,7 etc... What are these?

Thanks again.

From The Help Files

You can store data log files in .DBF format so you can open them using third-party software that handles this format, for example Microsoft Excel or Quattro Pro. These display the contents of the log file in a table.
For wide format, data log creates two files per set: one for floating point and string data, and one for tag names. The floating point and string data consists of one date, time, and marker, per line and multiple tag indexes, status, and values. A maximum of 100 tags can be logged using the wide file format.
The tag name log file consists of tag names and their corresponding index number assigned by RSView32.
The floating point and string data consists of a date, time, and marker for each line, along with multiple tag indexes, status and values. One wide format log file can log data for 100 tags.

Date

The date the tag values were logged. The date is stored in yyyymmdd format. You cannot change this format by changing the Regional Settings/Regional Options in the Windows Control Panel.

Time

The time the tag values were logged. The time is stored in hh:mm:ss 24-hour, military format. You cannot change this format by changing the Regional Settings/Regional Options in the Windows Control Panel.

Marker

B to indicate that logging began or E to indicate that logging ended. S identifies a data log snapshot.

Tag Index/name

The index number of the tag whose status and value are contained in the next two columns. If the tag name is 10 characters or less, it is displayed here instead of the index number.

Status

This column can contain any of the following: E (a communication error occurred while RSView32 was trying to acquire a tag value); D (the node is disabled); S (the tag contains stale data); U the tag is uninitialized); or blank (no error occurred).

Tag value

The value of the tag associated with the tag index. For floating-point values, the decimal point is used. You cannot change this numeric format by changing the Regional Settings/Regional Options in the Windows Control Panel.

maybe this will help.

import tags not complete

my project is to supervise some parameters in my system (temperature, speed..) and I want to save data of one day in excel . I will use RSview and rslogix. I wanted to import tags to my rsview23 from the rslogix 5000 but I don't know why not all tags have been imported only digital inputs have been imported but analog ones no. I don't know why. it's my first time that I use controllogix controller. just for information I didn't connect my PLC to my computer yet. I have just created my tags and configured my I/O modules. I wanna khow if this can effect to the importation of tags

One of the simplest ways is to log the data to mdb (access) format, then in an excel spreadsheet record a macro then import data from the db, the import allows you to select data by selecting a field like date_Time, select a known date_time from the list and the filter Greater than then select less than and select a date_time say two days worth and return the data to the spreadsheet, end the macro recording then edit the macro in vb by replacing the fields in Date_Time with variables from a date picker or some other format using vba is a simple way of automating the spreadsheet
below is one from an SQL database
Sub Macro1()
'
' Macro1 Macro
' Macro recorded 28/04/2014 by len
'

'
With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _
"ODBC;DSN=TestScada;UID=TESTDBS;Trusted_Connection=Yes;APP=Microsoft® Query;WSID=LEN_HOME;DATABASE=TestScada;" _
, Destination:=Range("A1"))
.CommandText = Array( _
"SELECT FIXALARMS.ALM_TAGNAME, FIXALARMS.ALM_TAGDESC, FIXALARMS.ALM_VALUE, FIXALARMS.ALM_DESCR, FIXALARMS.ALM_ALMAREA, FIXALARMS.ALM_OPNAME, FIXALARMS.ALM_OPFULLNAME, FIXALARMS.ALM_DATELAST, FIXALARMS." _
, _
"ALM_TIMELAST, FIXALARMS.ALM_DTLAST" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "FROM TestScada.dbo.FIXALARMS FIXALARMS" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "WHERE (FIXALARMS.ALM_DATELAST>='27/04/06' And FIXALARMS.ALM_DATELAST<='26/11/06')" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "ORDER BY FIXALARMS.ALM_DATELAST" _
)
.Name = "Query from BCHScada"
.FieldNames = True
.RowNumbers = False
.FillAdjacentFormulas = False
.PreserveFormatting = True
.RefreshOnFileOpen = False
.BackgroundQuery = True
.RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells
.SavePassword = True
.SaveData = True
.AdjustColumnWidth = True
.RefreshPeriod = 0
.PreserveColumnInfo = True
.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
End With
End Sub
If you record the macro then change the date texts to variables you can set these say 26/11/06 00:00:00 and 26/11/06 23:59:59 and it will fetch all data for that day
If you set them as variables from a date picker (note you need to format and insert the variables correctly into the sql string)
Then run this code by a button on the spreadsheet