Ethernet Switches

drawson

Can anyone explain the benefits of a managed "idustrial" switch versus a standard off the computer store shelf switch.

We have a couple of small networks setup in our plant with ControlLogix processors and flex I/O running on ethernet and we have just been using D-Link switches. They have run really well and we have not had an issue with them but I have had a few people tell me that if we don't use managed switches we will have problems with the network. I should point out that these networks are very small and are doing mostly digital i/o in material handling applications.

If the plant conditions are not harsh or the router/switches are in an environment similar to home/office conditions then you should not worry, that stuff is tougher then you think.

I have used home type computers and networking devices in some severe situations with little problems. I wish I still had the picture of the working 486 with several inches of dust/material built up inside of it. The only thing I could not have in that system was a floppy drive

Here are a few things the industrial switch may have:

1. possible higher temperature rating.
2. mounts to DIN rail, which you probably already have in your panel.
3. uses 24 VDC, which you probably already have in your panel.
4. no moving parts, no cooling fan.

drawson -

A little off topic but a question for you. You said you were using Control Logix processors and Flex I/O. I am assuming you have a 1756 PLC in a small chassis and all of your 1794 I/O on DIN rail. I have considered using this setup, what made you decide on this? A big advantage of Flex I/O is that you can take your field wiring straight to the Flex card. I know you can buy the IFMs for the ControlLogix I/O but thats another ~$200 per card.

ahackwor said:
drawson -

A little off topic but a question for you. You said you were using Control Logix processors and Flex I/O. I am assuming you have a 1756 PLC in a small chassis and all of your 1794 I/O on DIN rail. I have considered using this setup, what made you decide on this? A big advantage of Flex I/O is that you can take your field wiring straight to the Flex card. I know you can buy the IFMs for the ControlLogix I/O but thats another ~$200 per card.

We run our facility 24/7 year round and so we've been using the Flex I/O primarily to minimize installation time. We are updating our plant and installing new equipment and have found if the new equipment is all pre-wired to flex I/O on a cabinet attached to the machine that we only have to pull in power and an ethernet cable during the outage we can greatly compress the installation window.

I have several applications similar to this. I have Control Logix CPU and Communication modules in a chassis, but all my I/O is flex. This makes it very easy to upgrade/modify the controller or communications, OR upgrade/modify the IO independent of each other. The fact that I originally designed it this way has already saved my bacon twice. I'm so glad I did it.

$

The major advantage. GROUNDING. Industrial switches and cable are shielded and grounded. Most, also have monitoring and redundant power supplies. They can send emails, etc when you loose a power supply. If you have ever had a switch fail with a plant communication down, you would love industrial switches. There is nothing worse than buying cheap and getting burned. Have you ever tried to put the rinky dink ethernet connectors on. I watched a guy try and fail for 4 hours to do it on standard cable. With industrial cable and connector, it took about 10 minutes and he had never done it before. He is now a believer. So will you after you check it out.

RRobbins said:
The major advantage. GROUNDING. Industrial switches and cable are shielded and grounded. Most, also have monitoring and redundant power supplies. They can send emails, etc when you loose a power supply. If you have ever had a switch fail with a plant communication down, you would love industrial switches. There is nothing worse than buying cheap and getting burned. Have you ever tried to put the rinky dink ethernet connectors on. I watched a guy try and fail for 4 hours to do it on standard cable. With industrial cable and connector, it took about 10 minutes and he had never done it before. He is now a believer. So will you after you check it out.

Umm, no. If you have a half a brain in your skull, the right punch down tools, Ethernet is extremely simple to put together.

RRobbins said:
Have you ever tried to put the rinky dink ethernet connectors on. I watched a guy try and fail for 4 hours to do it on standard cable.

What are you talking about?! The hardest part of putting on RJ-45 connectors is remembering what order the color pairs go in to follow TIA/EIA-586-B.

4 hours to put on a connector? I'd have walked his *** straight out the front door for gross incompetence.