AB Devicenet Troubles

rorye

I just signed up to ask about some troubles we were having with an AB Devicenet system. I spent about 15 hours on this machine with another guy before we finally found the problem. Two things we found that fixed it - A 3' Devicenet cable that was built wrong and had the shield clamped in the end connectors so it was seeing a ground, (I think this was actually the shortest cable on the whole network!), and the V- was not tied to ground. Once we corrected these problems, everything ran perfect. So, shield grounding and V- grounding only in one spot very important!

simple wiring is key factor in networking but when wiring is faulty or not done correctly, it can be hell of a job to find the problem. to make troubleshooting faster and easier it is good idea to connectorize everything or at least network segments.