SLC 500 download in while running?

Paullys50

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys I'm messing with an AB system, SLC 5/03 OS302 and I'm wondering if I can download my offline logic changes while the PLC is running? When I was learning on AB I don't recall if I could do that or not. I would rather not have to stop the plc scan to download the changes. I know I can make individual rung changes while the PLC is running, but that would be tedious.

We use GE through out our plant, and I can go online, the PLC see's that the logic is different, then I can tell it to only download logic changes it finds, all while it is running. I'm assuming if GE can AB probably can. I just want verification before I experiment.

Nope

To edit the online running program you have to do online edits

To put your new revised offline copy into the slc you need to put the processor into program mode (ie go out of run mode)

sorry - you can't get there from here ...

in Allen-Bradley when you "download" you're sending the entire program into the processor ... sort of like a brain transplant ... the patient has to be anesthetized for that type of operation ...

specifically, to do a “download” you must take the processor out of the run mode ...

PS EDIT ... you might be confusing the term "download" with making "online changes" ... you CAN make changes to rungs, etc. while the processor is running ... but if I understand your original post correctly, you don't want to go that route ...

Last edited:
Yes, you can make online program changes (which are different from a full program download) to the SLC5/03.

We have another current thread on this same subject right here:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=27178

edit:
I'm not disagreeing with my distinguished collegues, but I read the question as asking how to download the offline changes, not as making a full program download, that' why I linked in the other thread. Cut and paste in the changes using online programming.

edit edit:
(looks like we all hit post and edit at about the same time. 🍺 )

Last edited: