Abs Encoder

CarlosMP

I need to count UP and Down a 10bits ABS encoder every single turn =1024bits, does anyone have an example ladder program I can use for the RSLogix 5000 o 500, because I new on this, I not sure if there is one instruction to do this.

i don't understand the question. what is the encoder interface (parallel, devicenet, etc.)?
what do you need help with? devicenet setup? or comparing value to see if encoder is in position?

Are you trying to count whole turns aka "encoder rollovers"?

This can be tricky depending on the application if the encoder turns in both directions. If can be tough to tell when the encoder "rolls over". If the encoder always turns less than half a revolution per PLC scan, you can detect the direction in PLC logic. Make a copy of the encoder position. FInd the difference between the copy and the NEW encoder position.

Something like this...
...Where:
max_counts=??? 'Maximum number of counts the encoder will move in 'a single PLC scan.
NEW_POS=actual value from encoder
OLD_POS=value from encoder recorded during the LAST PLC scan.

...Logic....
DIFF=NEW_POS-OLD_POS
IF DIFF < -max_counts THEN revs = revs-1
IF DIff > max_counts THEN revs = revs+1
OLD_POS=NEW_POS
...End Logic...

If you find that the PLC scan is too long or erratic for this to work, you may get it done with a STI routine (regulated scan frequency)...

Paul

Thanks Paul

I think what you explained is fine for my application; The mechanism consisted in 2 parallel 10bit encoder + two stepper motor, The program work like this, I have these two variables REAL_POSITION “The ABS encoder” and the DEMAND POSITION “where I wont to go”, I have automatic subroutine that calculate the steps and direction, and a toggle bit start the motion and then we have to repeat the calculation 2..3..4…… times until the error is close to 0. I think, I don’t need to use the instruction STI!!, the axis move very slow, to read the encoder, I’m using 2 TTL modules and then I have to convert from Gray code to binary normally in one scan. (Using a controllogix CPU).

Thanks,

Carlos