Motor current Monitor

dwilson

I'm looking for a way to monitor motor current on a grinder (600 VAC 3Ph., 50 Hp) and provide an alarm and/or automatic shutdown on overload. It is a hand loaded plastic grinder, and our operators sometimes get overly enthusiastic (!) when feeding it.

Current/load display would also be desireable, if it doesn't significantly add to the price.

Any suggestions??

I have used a Tsubaki shock relay for a million years. Here's a link:

http://www.tsubaki.ca/pdfs/shockrelay.pdf

I specifically use the model TSB-SS-05, which is under $200.00 USD. There is another model with a built-in meter to watch where you're at current-wise.

In the past, I've had end-customers want to use the Allen-Bradley current sensing relay (bulletin 809S) and they found those to be very expensive (triple the cost of Tsubaki), non-linear and difficult when it comes to adjustment. The pot adjustments don't even have graduations! (sorry A-B on this one)

EDIT: I went back and checked out the Allen-Bradley 809S current monitor on their website. It appears that in the fifteen years since they turned me off (see above), they now make this unit with a keypad and display to adjust parameters. Outside of the price, this could be a viable option, if you like A-B.

Last edited:
Motor current is not the best way to monitor motor load. A lightly loaded motor and a properly loaded motor will draw close to the same amount of current. The lightly loaded motor operates at a lower power factor than the nominally loaded motor. As load increases, power factor increases towards unity, but the current draw of the motor changes very little.

These guys: http://www.loadcontrols.com/ make a device that monitors true load on the motor. I have used them in many applications, including monitoirng grinding wheel loading. They also have an article explaining reactive and active power in motors if you are not familiar with it.

Alaric said:
Motor current is not the best way to monitor motor load. ... These guys: http://www.loadcontrols.com/ make a device that monitors true load on the motor. ...
Ditto on this recommendation. Just commissioned a facility with one of these and they work great. A little pricey but easy to change trip point on the fly and will work with different voltages which is one of my requirements in a test facility application: unit power can vary from 180V to 600V depending on the test du jour.