omron PLC

schutter

Hey,

I am new here so this the first time i am on this forum but i have i question. I have an omron PLC wich i want to connect with my computer. Now the problem is that i dont hav any serial port on my labtop, only usb. I found a cable for converting serial to usb but now my question is, has any one tried this before and did it work well??

greetz

Even though you have not provided PLC model etc, I am sure that there are people who have used a USB->serial converter, not only on Omron PLC'c, but on almost any other brand..

I know of persons that have done this on the CP1MA successfully, but I am guessing your question is asking more than the USB->serial question?

Where to start.

There are a multitude of USB - serial devices out there. Omron have one that has been tested with all Omron PLCs but it is not cheap.

I bought an Omron one after having trouble with other brands that others had been successful with.

I had trouble. The comms kept dropping in and out.

At the end of the day I found out it was my laptop that was the problem. Something in the HP XE3 did not like USB - serial converters.

I now have a HP (Compaq) NX 5000 with a real serial port and it is really good.

I have not tried a converter on it yet but I do have a USB hub for a USB mouse and keyboard and memory sticks.

I now use bluetooth to communicate with the CJ/CS series almost exclusively. I intend to try the Mitsumi bluetooth USB device to 4 Promi bluetooth serial ports tomorrow on the USB hub I bought.

By the way. if you do a search here you will find a multitude of posts where this has been discussed.

I had no problem connecting to a CJ1M-CPU13 via toolbus networking.

I used a Keyspan - USA-19HS to connect from my laptop USB to an Omron "programing" cable and then to the "program" port of the PLC.

This was on a Dell Latitude D810. That laptop had a serial port com1 but it was tied up by some other program that could not be identified and wouldn't release it for other use. The adapter was a good work around.

I am not sure if the CQM1H is the same.

USB-serial adapters can be difficult. It mostly depends on the chipsets in both the computer and the adapter. Most of the feedback I have on the Keyspan unit (see above) has been good.

With the CQM1H-CPU11 you will need an Omron cable CS1W-CN226 to connect from the adapter to the peripheral port. You will need the full CX-One package, Junior version does not support the CQM1 family.

Hope this will help.