Motor

jasdhillon

Motor for UK. Customer has a AC Induction motor labled 415/3/50.
Its made by Reliance. Reliance says a motor rated at 380/3/50 will do the job. I can see you can go 10% above the rated voltage, but the question is: do they sell motors in UK for 415 Volts?

I thought the standard voltage in UK was 440 Volts. The motor has been relabled by the equipment manufacturer, who is gone out of business.

Line Voltage - 400V

Phase Voltage - 230V

(Trying to harmonise with the rest of Europe!)

But 415V is still commonly used for motor and control gear ratings, and we have a +- 10% tolerance anyway....

Last edited:
You'll find motors over here rated anything from 380 to 440 and they all work fine.

Like Rob & Kevin state though the latest voltage is 400/230.

Its a bit like we used to be Red, Yellow and Blue for Phase colours, we are now.............

Dammit i hate those new colours!

Just waiting for them to remove all confusion and make phases 'Green/Yellow' and Earth Red.....:eek:

Rob ;)

Fault finding today on a press panel with no drawing...........

Perm 24vdc - Orange

Control 24vdc - White

12-230 VAC - Brown and Black

400VAC - Red

Earths - None

with a few spurious blues thrown in for good measure!

I still have a headache.....

jasdhillon said:
Motor for UK. Customer has a AC Induction motor labled 415/3/50.
Its made by Reliance. Reliance says a motor rated at 380/3/50 will do the job. I can see you can go 10% above the rated voltage, but the question is: do they sell motors in UK for 415 Volts?

They have a fancy word for that in the UK and Europe. They call it "Harmonizing." We call it fudging the tolerances. 🍺
Its part of an overall effort to gradually get that side of the marble all on the same voltages (400/50), and it is working, but changes like this don't happen overnight, as attested to by the existence of your motor.

Now if only they would see that 60hz is so much better than 50hz. ;)

Last edited:
what are the UK going to do with residential power??..i know when i was there (About 20 years ago now)..it was 230 or 240v to ground.. are they going to bring it down to 110v to match thest of europe?

We in the UK are still effectively on 415V, I base all my power and protection calcs on 415.

I live in a village with an overhead 11kV supply to a transformer down to 415V 3ph +N and I get 247V 1ph +N at my meter, most domestic equipment is now rated at 230V but it doesn't seem to be much trouble as the standard voltage range should be +/- 10%. I must say the voltage varies a lot in the village.

380V only motors tend to run too hot though and I would recommend a motor built for the European market.

darrenj said:
what are the UK going to do with residential power??..i know when i was there (About 20 years ago now)..it was 230 or 240v to ground.. are they going to bring it down to 110v to match thest of europe?

Residential voltage is 230V across the whole of Europe as far as I was aware