series one plus dcu

p0zburn

I have recently aquired a lot of old series one plus plc hardware.
My plant upgraded and was going to throw them out so they gave them to me.

I'm in the process of trying to get my computer to talk to the dcu.
I'm not sure if my dcu is functional or not, but sometimes when I plug it into the cpu and power up the rack I get all three lites on steady which tell's me its bad. Are these things junk because I have about four of them and they all behave the same.
Also can anyone tell me a where I can get a cheap rs422 to rs232 convertor or shematic to make one.

Thanks
POzburn

p0zburn,

I still have one of these eventhough it has been years since I have used it. I do remember that you need to make sure that your dip switches are set properly or it wont work, I will check mine to see what the settings should be and get back with you.

Mike

GE Fanuc Series One

I used to work with these, here is a pinout for a cable where you will not need the convertor.
Code:
      Series One Direct:

9 pin F			25 pin M
3--------------------------24
2--------------------------23
5--------------------------7
Jump                      Jump
4 to 6                  10 and 12
                        11 and 13

I also have the manuals that I could copy pages from if needed.

I have a DCU (from automationdirect) which I have just connected to a 105 cpu, I get a RUN, DIAG and power light on startup. Once I connected the Data light would flash. I am now viewing the file loaded into the plc. I am using DirectSoft32 to make the connection.

GE does not offer manuals for those units anymore but they do have some info. A good tech note on the DCU and GE ONE can be found here:
http://www.gefanuc.com/support/plc/fax01111.htm
Note the section that states:Note the original DCU, the IC610CCM100, does not support the Series One Plus.

There is also a section that explains Switch settings:

The top DIP switch(nearest to the OnLine toggle switch) sets up communications
Code:
Positions 1 and 2 for bits/sec    300  1=Off/2=Off
                                 1200  1=On/2=Off
                                 9600  1=Off/2=On
                                19200  1=On/2=On
Position 3 for Parity            None=Off/Odd=On
Position 4 for OffLine Loopback  Disable=Off/Enable=On (Need connector)
Position 5 for TurnAround Delay   0 millisec=Off/10 millisec=On
Position 6 for PowerUp mode      Run=Off/Program or Stop=On
Position 7 and 8                 Not used
The factory default is all positions Off. A common setting is to close/set On positions 1 and 2 for 19200 bit/sec, no parity. The parity must be None for a modem connection, but may be Odd for a direct computer link. Modems usually also require the 10 millisecond Turn Around delay.

The bottom DIP switch sets the CCM slave DCU ID from 1 to 90. Set positions On or closed to set the binary ID number: close 1 for 1, 2 for 2, 1 and 2 for 3, 3 for 4, 1 and 3 for 5, etc. At least one position must be closed as 0 is not a legal CCM ID number. A common setting is to close position 1 and 2 for an CCM DCU ID address of 3. This ID of 3 is the default for Logicmaster and can also be used for CCM master data collection programs. If you are multidropping more than one DCU/Series One, each DCU must have a different DCU ID.

An EXT/INT power slide switch at the back of the DCU is normally in the INT position to receive power from the Series One power supply. If it is switched to EXT, power for the DCU must be provided at the connector at the side of the DCU using the external cable provided. The connections are White for 0.5 amps at +5 VDC, Green for power ground and Black for Logic Ground. If external power is Not used, the DCU uses 300 mAmp at +5 VDC out of the 1400 mAmp available at +5 VDC from most Series One rack power supplies.

DCU Status Lights and Operation
Since the installed DCU covers up the LED's on the front of the CPU, the DCU provides the same CPU LED's plus an additional DATA LED that is On which data is being transferred from the computer/CCM master. Normally the DIAG and PWN LED's are On and the CPU and BATT LED's are Off, with the RUN LEDS indicating the PLC status and the DATA LED flickering when Logicmaster transferred data.

Detailed LED Status (with Normal marked by an *) is:
Code:
DATA   On     Data being transferred from/to DCU by Logicmaster/computer
      *Off    No data transferred or parity/framing error,
              invalid header or data or link timeout
DIAG  *On     Passed DCU powerup diagnotics
       Off    Failed DCU powerup diagnostics
PWR   *On     +5 VDC power to PLC and DCU connected
       Off    +5 VDC power not present in DCU
RUN   *On     PLC is in Run mode
       Off    PLC is in Stop mode
BATT   On     Memory backup Battery has Failed, below ??? volts
      *Off    Memory backup Battery is OK
CPU    On     CPU error, check for Enn number with hand held programmer
      *Off    No CPU error is present
Hope this helps.

I know nothing of this plc but I am just posting to say 'where else on earth could this information be given so readily'

*The cable pinout

*The software that will communicate

*The dipswitch settings

*Links to manuals (or further information)

All this and more, for an obsolete plc so that someone can learn to program

Brilliant guys, brilliant.

Someone on here qoutes from time to time that the information is worth every penny that was paid. Not true, some information is invaluable.

Keep up the good work people.

I have an old AT laptop and I am using Logicmaster one.
What I noticed was that I would get all six lights on at power up and they would stay on steady. But only in cold weather like about 30 degree's F. (I was in my garage)
I'm little scared to use the pin out for the interface that RUSSb suggested, since I know the voltages between rs-422 and rs-232 are different. I think about 12V for rs-232 and 5V for rs-422. I might damage my DCU.
I have IC610CCM105D DCU's
One thing I did notice about my dip switches that might be part of my problem is the parity I had set to none. I'll try odd and see what happens. Thanks again for all your Help
Patrick