Protool textlist + constant

Werner

Hi there!

I have a text list: (Protool pro v6.0 sp3)

0 = "00"
1 = "Motor 1, transport"
2 = "etc..."

etc.

Now I want to display text number 1 in the display. Normally you use an index tag to be able to switch the texts in the display. In some places in the screen I will always show a fixed text line. So in stead of a tag as index tag I need a constant.

This is not possible. So what I've done is declare some tags without controller. I set the initial value of those tags to a number.

So if I want to show line 1 somewhere on the screen I make a symbolic outputfield with index tag "1" which is one of the offline tags.

I want to use a textlist because I will use this text all over the display. If I need to change the text I will only have to change the textlist and all the display is changed.

Does anybody have another idea on how to do this. I don't like the offline tags because what if the tag is overwritten be somebody. When is the initial tag applied? What I really need is to be able to declare tags with constant values. Is this possible?

Upgrade to Flex !!

Since the tag you declare is not associated to a controller , I am not sure how anyone could overwrite it -

In this case you could write a little VB application that is called on every screen change that rewrites the value to your "smart tags", just in case something changes it , but if that is all you use the tag for , I really can't see how you could overwrite it .

--- deleted.
(what you do with the initial value is probably the best method).

Of course, you can also just make normal texts, and then export to excel, translate the texts, and import them again.
You can use the functions in excel to edit with relative comfort.

Last edited: