HMI for a "dummy"

novice

I'm new to HMI programming/design. Had a very short crash course but need some refresher directions. I have to implement a PLC (RSLogix 500) file into HMI display, and am wondering how to create a database of tagnames. Do I do it in RSLogix or in RSView? How do I do Communication Setup to create Local and Target shortcuts for the PLC database? Thanks.

Which RSView are you going to use? RSView Studio for ME is my guess but if it is RSView 32 I haven't used that in quite a long time.

First off, is you PLC program written? If so, have you created symbols for your data files? In RSLogix I mean. If so, then you can import these into RSView studio.

Create a new project in RSView studio, or open one that you have already created, double click the HMI tags/tags tab, which opens your tag editor.

NOTE: The choices on your main toolbar will change and you may not notice this! On the top toolbar of the RSView studio window click edit. The drop down will expose "other databases". Select this and type in the info requested.

I am going from memory but I think the folder name is required, the rslinx topic is the same name as the shortcut you need to create in the RSLinx enterprise configuration tab. For the RSLinx Entertprise shortcut (topic) name I usually use the processor name which is our job number.

Then browse to your RSLogix 500 file and all of your symbols should show up in the window.

If you need more details or hit a stumbling block, let us know.

Good luck

Marc

I think it is rsview me you can export you rslogix database & import into rsview me file using tag database import/export utility

Praveen,

The tag import utitlity works as well, but it forces an import of all tags, if you have a large program and only want specific tags for the HMI, use the method I listed above, you can select individual tags or groups of tags via a filter and only import what you need. It works pretty well and can be done in a couple of different ways.

Marc

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I'm using RSView Studio for ME.

The PLC program is written by a co-worker. If by symbols you mean that the Symbol column of each tag is filled, the answer is no.

I tried what Marc suggested and got the tags imported. At least all the ones the programmer has done so far.

During training, I got a quick run-through of using one database shortcut to RSLogix file. Involves Comm Setup but haven't figure out how to work it.

Thanks again. I'll definitely raise more issues (if any).

If your programmer is early on in the process, it wouldn't hurt to have him start using symbol names. It makes working in RSView (actually in RSLogix as well) easier.

There are some tricks you can use when identifying symbol names. EG for alarm bits... use a tag name like ALM_LO_PRESSURE that way when you start adding alarms in RSView studio, they are sorted alaphabetically and all of the alarms are in the same area and makes selection much quicker.

Let us know if you need any help

Marc

Unless you have a highly complex system, I would forget about importing any tags from the PLC. The last time I did that I spent a lot of time cleaning up the mess. In my opinion, it is much cleaner to create the tags in RSView as you go along. There is no need to create any tags in the PLC for a stand-alone Machine Edition application. Just create a tag in RSView and point to the PLC data that you need. For example,
when you create a new tag in RSView, the tag address will look like this

::[PLC_NAME]N7:10 or ::[PLC_NAME]F8:6

Then just get the tag from the RSView tag database when you configure a graphical object.

NORML,

Did you use the tag import export utility or did you import them via the "other databases" method I described earlier. import/export forces them all into your RSView database whereas you can selectivly import them with the other method.

Just curious

Marc

Hi Marc,

Sadly I used the import/export function and got every tag for miles around :) and I won't do that again. The next time I'll try it your way. But I still like creating the HMI tags strictly within RSView Studio for no particular reason except that I'm getting cranky in my old age. (I have a brother named Marc at UNH)

Norm

Norml said:
Unless you have a highly complex system, I would forget about importing any tags from the PLC. The last time I did that I spent a lot of time cleaning up the mess. In my opinion, it is much cleaner to create the tags in RSView as you go along. There is no need to create any tags in the PLC for a stand-alone Machine Edition application. Just create a tag in RSView and point to the PLC data that you need. For example,
when you create a new tag in RSView, the tag address will look like this

::[PLC_NAME]N7:10 or ::[PLC_NAME]F8:6

Then just get the tag from the RSView tag database when you configure a graphical object.
Actually, that's kinda similar to what I got, and I did as Marc suggested. I put the project number in the 'PLC_NAME' part. The tag address for each graphical object look like this: "{PG864\I_2_0_0}"

My bosses will say the project I'm working on is not all that complex. But being it my first-time, it's a whole new world. THe project is a two-stage compressor system package for a customer in Mainland China. In about a week or so, the AB PLCs will be arriving in my office. So I'll need to know how to hook up my laptop to it. :confused:

Hi NORML,

Another northeaster, or actually you are downeast right?

Yah I made the import export mistke once too and it was a nightmare till I found the other method.

Novice,

Keep in mind something important, you showed an I/O address in your example. Don't try to control that address in your PVP. An input is an input-it's a real world device so if you make a Pushbutton to turn on I:2/1 It will have no effect. You can display it's state all day long just don't try to turn it on or off.

What type of SLC are you going to use 5/04, 5/05? If you need communication setup help, give us a yell.

Marc

Marc said:
Keep in mind something important, you showed an I/O address in your example. Don't try to control that address in your PVP. An input is an input-it's a real world device so if you make a Pushbutton to turn on I:2/1 It will have no effect. You can display it's state all day long just don't try to turn it on or off.
That's the tag I'm seeing on the HMI. Should I do something different, or using a different tag in its place?

What type of SLC are you going to use 5/04, 5/05? If you need communication setup help, give us a yell.
Most likely a 5/04. I'll find out more.

Last edited:
You can monitor real IO with no difficulty, but there are a few caveats.

If you are using PLC based alarming, the IO address and status may conflict with the alarm state. Using the HMI alarming with real IO is a better solution, only IF you have a single monitoring point. For multiple HMIs that monitor one PLC, you probably will have to go with PLC based alarming. In that case, monitoring the alarm/normal status of an input is better than monitoring the actual IO.

Almost everything I do with HMI is indirect. The only real IO I monitor are safety points.

You and the PLC programmer need to butt heads. Soon. A lot of what each of you will do depends heavily on what the other guy is doing, the capabilities of the equipment, and software.

You don't have to use the same tag names as are in the PLC. As you create your screens, and add tags, you can name them and add the appropriate PLC address as you go. It is common practice to name them the same, or at least similar enough to where there is no doubt. For instance, ALM_MOTOR_1 on one device, and MOTOR_1_FAIL on another are fairly similar. As long as you are consistent on both devices, you will be ok.

One other aspect of this that you may consider, which I do as much as possible, is consult with the "end user", the operators and technicians who will be using the system, and get their input on what they would like to see for operating and troubleshooting.

Forcing a different scheme onto experienced hands often does not make a smooth transition.

Or, you could simply try to convince them that your way is better. Just make sure it is!

(wait ... what was the question again?) :D

Novice,

Yes, like I mentioned I:0/2 or whatever is an I/O point not data and should not be mainipulated by the HMI. Think about it like a light switch, the switch is either on or off. No matter how hard you wish the switch to change state, it will be in the position it is in untill you get out of the chair and flip it to the other state.

Now if you want to turn the light itself on (leave the switch out of it for a moment) then you can change a data point that controls the light (not the light switch) and remain in your chair. A remote control for a tv is a good example. The remote does not push the button on the TV but it activates the same circuitry and also turns the TV on.

I don't know if you have worked with ladded logic yet but you can basically branch the input instruction. ie if i:0/2 (lightswitch is on) OR b3:0/2 (HMI lightswitch) then turn on light eg O:3/1.

Better if you don't use the HMI to attempt to control O:3/1 or I:0/2 directly. If you want to display the status of either the switch or the light you can do so in the HMI just don't control it.

Make sense?

SLC 5/04 you will most likely be using DH+ or DF-1 for you PVPlus. When you get the stuff in drop us a line if you have trouble setting up the comm.s

Marc

Last edited: