GE 90-30 & AutoDirect DL205 similarities

DickDV

Since my last post, I've been studying the GE Series 90-30 PLC manuals. I've been told that this series as well as TI Series 300 and Automation Direct DL205 are all the same unit built by Koyo.

I've been comparing what Automation Direct offers with their DL205 with the GE 90-30 and, in many ways the CPU's and even the racks don't seem to be the same. Are they or am I mistaken here?

If they are the same, can I mix and match pieces from several mfgrs. For example, a GE CPU and rack with Automation Direct I?O modules?

Your information source has been mixing and matching compatibilities!

The old GE Series One is the same as the Koyo 305 series, and you can mix parts from GE, Koyo, AutomationDirect.com, and the Texas Instruments/Siemens 305 series. The GE 90-30 is made by Fanuc. When GE partnered with Fanuc Koyo started marketing to TI. (Note that the TI 405 series is also interchangeable with the Koyo 405 series.) When Siemens bought TI Koyo said the heck with it and started marketing "direct" through PLCDirect, who then changed their name to AutomationDirect.com (ADC). The GE CCM2 communications, the Siemens/TI Hostlink protocol, and the Koyo/ADC DirectNet are identical.

The 90-30 is a whole different animal, the SNP (system ninety protocol) is not compatible with Koyo, the CPU and I/O are not interchangeable with any other type. However, I think Horner Electric (http://www.heapg.com/) does make some I/O modules and accessories for the 90/30.

Last edited:
Dick,

Tom is correct with his over view of the 305 / 405 line, none of these parts are interchangeable with the 90/30. The 90/30 is a GE product where the 305 was brand labled by Koyo.

Tom was correct that Horner makes modules for the 90/30, but they also make modules for the 90/70 and for all Automation Direct PLC's.