Protection for PLC output card relays

AB2005

Dear All,

I want to connect MOVs (Mattel Oxide Varistor)with parallel of coil of each relay (220VAC) which are energizing through PLC out put Relay card for providing protection to the output card relays contacts against high voltage spikes occur when relays de-energize. But I haven’t experienced ever before.

Please help me for selecting the proper MOV.

AB2005,

How big is the coil in question? You need to select your MOV based on the amount of energy expected to be produced by the collapsing coil, measured in Joules, (watt seconds). There are maybe a dozen specifications for MOVs. Your main concerns for arc suppression is the working voltage and the capacity for energy absorption/crossover.

The RC snubber is a better way to go for an inductive coil. The RC snubber will supress transients created when the coil de-energizes. A MOV does not help supress a transient. It lets the transient thru when the transient energy is greater than the energy rating of the MOV - a MOV is rated in Joules. MOVs are frequently used across solid state output devices such as SCRs and Triacs to protect the semiconductor switch by letting high energy transients go around the semiconductor switch.

Alaric said:
The RC snubber is a better way to go for an inductive coil. The RC snubber will supress transients created when the coil de-energizes. A MOV does not help supress a transient. It lets the transient thru when the transient energy is greater than the energy rating of the MOV - a MOV is rated in Joules. MOVs are frequently used across solid state output devices such as SCRs and Triacs to protect the semiconductor switch by letting high energy transients go around the semiconductor switch.
Agreed. MOV's won't supress the arc across the relay points. A snubber will.