Slitter question part 2

Tackdriver

Ok, got some good feeback on the DC to AC issue its been a great resource!!

This next question ties in with that same project.

I will (probably) want to invest in a new/different winder control.

I have very little current marketplace knowledge about this sort of thing, we have an older one on the shelf, but I would like something that is

1) simple to setup
2) good quality- accurate device
3) extremely well supported and documented.
4) I would like it to have Modbus RTU included.
What reccomendations do you have?

Appreciate the help fellas!!

Well dang RS, nobody is twisting your arm here.

If you dont want to discuss stuff, dont discuss it, but dont make posts such as the one above. It is pointless.

To the rest of the group, I still appreciate all your input!!

When you say "winder control", are you talking about controlling the tension, nip, and torque as the diameter of the rewound roll increases? Do you have the necessary sensors and control devices on the machine to control it?

When I worked for a paper industry OEM, I worked more on sheeters than winders. Those of us in the sheeter group had a standing joke about winders. How difficult can they be? All they do is take a roll of paper and turn it into a roll of paper. The reality is that there is a lot more to a roll of paper than you'd expect.

A good place for you to start to research on what you need would be TAPPI. There is a wealth of information on the physics of roll structure. If you're not a member of TAPPI, I would expect that someone at your facility is and can get copies of TAPPI technical papers. TAPPI is the Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry.

I still have a binder from my "winder basics" education when I first started working for the paper industry OEM.

In the other thread you identified your machine as a Lenox winder. The "winder control" that you mentioned wouldn't be called a "LARS" system would it? Officially, that stands for "Lenox Automatic Roll Structure", but to those in the know, it stands for "Lenox Ain't Really Sure". From this response you may be able to guess the identity of my former employer.

I dont really remember, but I have the documentation coming in.
This thing is hardly original in any case.

I just learned that my Yaskawa drives can have application specific software added to them. I am looking into this further, as this could simplify things a great deal.