5 pumps will be operate with rotation

tulip

Hi everyone, i am hoping someone my be able to help me.I am using S7-300 PLC and I will be control 5 pumps with rotation.Pumps will be operate according to plc's hour.In this way all of pumps have got same operating times.Is there anybody that has experience?

Try searching previous messages in this forum using the search facility. There have been many extended discussion on this topic, some with 3 pumps, some with 4, some with 5, 6 .... n. I have just tried searching using the keywords 'pump rotation' and found several threads. Some of the posts also deal with the issue of whether to equalise pump/motor wear at all. Equalised wear means that they all fail or wear out at the same time. Can you or the process afford for that to happen?

Regards

Ken

Why do that?

I have been asked to rotate pumps through a sequence in the past. The idea was to even out wear on all pumps. Why would you want all your pumps to fail around the same time?

The only time pump sequencing makes sense is if you're starting them DOL, then you minimize starts per hour on a particular pump. Nobody has ever convinced me with sound engineering pricnciples that one should start a softstart or VFD based pump array and rotate their use.

Anyone?

Greg

Depends on the application. Pumps are rotated in sewage pumping stations all the time and pump wear is not the issue. Having pipes clog due to infrequent use is the important factor since each pump usually has a vertical riser where solids can settle. All it can take is a couple of weeks and there could be enough weight on top of a check valve to prevent it from opening.