PWM and DTC

aosis

As im aware our conventional, or rather common used frequency inverter units are PWM. There is this recent type, as advised by vendor that utilised DTC-Direct Torque Control technology. The technology is so called better but price is about 2 times more expensive than the PWMs.
To confirm that the salesman is speaking the truth, what actually is DTC? And in what terms is it better than PWM?

DTC is supposed to be faster... but most of us control very simple things like pumps and conveyerbelts so I dont see the point... and it probably makes the motor/drive more expensive too... So unless you do really hitech-things, stick to the older method... as I see it...

Direct Torque Control (DTC) is a patented ABB technology that provides exceptionally good sensorless vector control of induction motors. The improvements come primarily because of the quality of the motor model which is constructed in drive memory when commissioning the system. It is not uncommon to acheive .1% speed regulation without an encoder with DTC.

The system is also very fast which allows the torque response of the motor to follow step changes in the speed reference with nearly servo performance. As with most AC drives, positioning is not possible as with servo systems unless a separate positioning controller is added.

Having said that, none of these benefits may be worth anything in your application. So, as always, you need to understand your load's requirements and build your power-train, motor, and drive to match.

One of the unusual aspects of DTC is that there is no PWM carrier. The drive issues power pulses to the motor based on rotor position, torque demand, and speed. For the purpose of spec'ing reactors, etc. an approximation of carrier frequency is 3.16khz.

I don't see why DTC drives need to be double in price. I am an ABB territory manager in Michigan USA and our pricing is right in line with other higher performance drive systems.

Originally posted by DickDV:

I don't see why DTC drives need to be double in price. I am an ABB territory manager in Michigan USA and our pricing is right in line with other higher performance drive systems.

Apples and oranges. Compared to an AB PF700 or an SSD 690+/890+ the ABB stuff is probably right in line. Compared to an open loop only AC Tech or the cheapest thing I can get out of AD it probably does seem pretty high. It's what you get when you look at price only without comparing relative performance.

Keith