MP277 WinCC Flex

allscott

I just purchased a new MP277 to replace an obsolete OP37 that was developed in Protool. I have WinCC flexible 2005 release k.1.0.1 and don't see a 277 as Device, the closest is a MP 270.

Is there somewhere I should go to update the software?

Thanks for the info.

It's kind of dissapointing to spend 4K on a operator panel and software to program it to find out that I need to install a SP just to use it.

Wouldn't be a big deal but the SP is a 810MB download!!!!!!!!

I guess I will download at home as my work connection can't handle that. I swear that Siemens and Microsoft are in a race to see who can put more files on my hard drive.

I don't normally run down manufacturers but good lord I hate Siemens

allscott said:

I got it sent to me on CD when it came out, I take it you didn't? Might have been worth asking your Siemens rep for the 'free' updates on CD.

I might be totally up to date with WinCC flex, but I am yet to use it.

Paul

If you purchased WinCC Flex at the sime time you purchased the MP277, then Siemens should have send you the latest version (i.e. with SP1).
Make a complaint and they will probably send the update to you with no fuss about it.

I'm interested that Allscott asked for information here first rather than from Siemens or wherever he'd purchased the software/hardware. If I'd bought a car and something didn't seem right about it I don't think my first stop would be the guys hanging around the corner. I'd go straight back to the dealer and get more air in the tyres or whatever from him.

I'm not defending Microsoft or Siemens from Allscott's 'hatred', but is it fair if you don't give them a chance to recover from a supply inconsistency? We all know that software and firmware releases happen all the time, and new products seem to emerge even before you've finished commissioning their predecessors. We may not like it but it's a fact of life. I agree that 810MB seems a massive amount of data to add a single hardware device, but presumably that wasn't all that SP1 offered? And it also presumably wasn't cumulative? What is the net increase in WinCC Flexible installation size after this? Surely it's overwriting a great many of the existing files so Allscott's issue of "who can put more files on my hard drive" can't be a big issue. (I hope not anyway!) Several others also seem to suggest that there would be an alternative means of supply as well.

As I say, not defending Siemens, just interested in why this route for the solution?

Ken

810MB is a service pack , not just a device upgrade , though of course they go hand in hand . You will find that if you go on to the Siemens forums , the guys there are extremely helpful in providing support and links to download etc .

HF5 is problematic , if you don't need it (and you don't ) it may be better to avoid it . I believe much of the HF5 stuff is concerned with iMAP and CBA . SP1 support the 277 , are you quite sure that the SP is required ?

If you have the hump now - wait until you migrate to Flex , and things start dropping of the side of the view area and otherwise disapearing .
All in all , you might be better to get someone else to do the conversion for you !

allscott said:
Thanks for the info.

It's kind of dissapointing to spend 4K on a operator panel and software to program it to find out that I need to install a SP just to use it.

I guess I will download at home as my work connection can't handle that. I swear that Siemens and Microsoft are in a race to see who can put more files on my hard drive.

I don't normally run down manufacturers but good lord I hate Siemens

I feel for you. Our company used to use Siemens exclusively in the late '80s and early '90s. Heck I was one of the biggest AB bashers out there at the time. But now it appears Siemens have picked up all of ABs bad habits and Siemens have kept their software in '90s. At least AB has moved forward with their software and their products as now we use AB as our preferred product.

Ian

curlyandshemp said:
I feel for you. Our company used to use Siemens exclusively in the late '80s and early '90s. Heck I was one of the biggest AB bashers out there at the time. But now it appears Siemens have picked up all of ABs bad habits and Siemens have kept their software in '90s. At least AB has moved forward with their software and their products as now we use AB as our preferred product.

Ian

It is not really much of an argument - both suppliers and platforms have merits and bad points .
Siemens Software is far from being in the 90's , and is extremely powerful .
I would agree that Siemens software is not always the easiest or quickest stuff to install .

A few things;

I posted here because I knew I would get an answer right away, and I did.

My Siemens rep is about 600 miles away from here. Siemens is not popular in this part of the country and our rep is not the best at supplying information. It took over a week just to get him to recommend an upgrade from the OP37. I knew if I called there he would have to phone someone who knew what was going on and get back to me. I'm sure it would have taken at least a week to get the SP CD in hand.

I didn't know that there was a SP for the software. I ordered a new touch panel and the software to program it. I expected to receive a new touch panel and the software to program it, I didn't.

This SP came out in April, I ordered the software in December. How does it take over 8 months to begin shipping software with the required updates?

I just about fell over when I saw the hardware requirements for WinCC flex. 2.0Ghz P4 and 1 GB of Ram! Can I play quake on my new HMI?

allscott said:
A few things;

I posted here because I knew I would get an answer right away, and I did.

My Siemens rep is about 600 miles away from here. Siemens is not popular in this part of the country and our rep is not the best at supplying information. It took over a week just to get him to recommend an upgrade from the OP37. I knew if I called there he would have to phone someone who knew what was going on and get back to me. I'm sure it would have taken at least a week to get the SP CD in hand.

I didn't know that there was a SP for the software. I ordered a new touch panel and the software to program it. I expected to receive a new touch panel and the software to program it, I didn't.

This SP came out in April, I ordered the software in December. How does it take over 8 months to begin shipping software with the required updates?

I just about fell over when I saw the hardware requirements for WinCC flex. 2.0Ghz P4 and 1 GB of Ram! Can I play quake on my new HMI?

I am sure someone here could have recommended an HMI as a replacement for you if the dealers are that desperate . Maybe your issue was with your dealer who had failed to provide you with the latest software - maybe it had been hanging around for some time - but in checking back I see I got sent my SP1 automatically . It is unfortunate that your dealer failed to provide you with decent service , and equally unfortunate that this has tarnished your image of Siemens . I for one like Siemens , and the support I get , but then I also like AB products - there are things they both excel at .

You need a plenty of RAM and a fast processor to run Flex on your PC , of course this doesn't effect the processing power of your HMI , unless you are running a RT application on the developement PC .

10BaseT. said:
It is not really much of an argument - both suppliers and platforms have merits and bad points .
Siemens Software is far from being in the 90's , and is extremely powerful .
I would agree that Siemens software is not always the easiest or quickest stuff to install .

Don't agree with you. Classic example is comparing editting in Step7 or in Rslogix5K. With RSlogix5K, you can drag and drop instructions, and a rung will adjust dynamically to fit in the viewing window. I have seen no such comparable feature with S7 V5.4

Ian

allscott said:
A few things;

I feel for you too. You can't play Quake on your HMI. Even if you spend 810 MB of internet.
icon7.gif

I found out an interesting link about coupling siemens PLC and non-siemens HMI. Why not? Look at here.