"WOW" What a feeling!

Zetor

Hello All,

I just have to share an experience I had today. Up until today, I spend most of my time using RSLogix 5 on 17 different PLC 5’s trying to find why a particular machine will not start, or speed up etc. In other words I have to find which button is left in, what door not closed, what photo-eye is blocked, you know all the electrical problems. (LOL). Anyway the operators on my rewinder have to walk about 250 feet to a case packer to look at a mechanical counter to see their actual case count. Sooo I took it upon myself to see if I could get a counter to display case count onto their Panelmate 4000 at the rewinder. All the PLC’s on this line are hooked together via Ethernet. There is a Master PLC that reads and writes to all the others. So the first thing I did was take the input from the photo-eye that was sending a signal to the mechanical counter and use it with a CTU. This was done in the case packer plc. Then using a move statement I sent the acc. from the counter to the master plc. Here I used move statements to change it from a read to a write and send it to the rewinder plc. Then I added two page icons to the Panelmate program to show present case count and previous case count. Also added a reset button so the operators could reset the count. So when an operator pushes the count reset, it moves that count data to the previous case count icon and resets the present case count to 0. I did it this way in case they actually hit the reset before writing down there count, and also when they change over to a different product. The moving the data to the previous and resetting the present was the biggest challenge for me. But using a latch and a greater than statement I was able to do it. It is hard for me to explain the feeling of seeing the data come up on the Panelmate and pushing the reset and seeing it actually work. And the operators were just as happy as I was. The reason I am going on and on, is this was my first modification flying solo, I had never used move blocks or anything like this before. I hope I can get some sleep tonight, without laying there thinking of all the things that I can add, change, make better, hehehe. I can hardly wait to get to work in the morning.

Zetor

Congats! that is a good feeling, i started getting those feelings about 5 years ago. As the projects get bigger the satisfation also increases. Keep up the good work.

Zetor said:
...trying to find why a particular machine will not start, or speed up etc. In other words I have to find which button is left in, what door not closed, what photo-eye is blocked, you know all the electrical problems...

Sound like you've already discovered your next project!... :nodi:

The PLC should be the one doing the troubleshooting!

All the things you go online to check should appear automatically on the Panelmate!... :cool:

Welcome to the club... Now get busy working on this!... ;)

beerchug

-Eric

Finding that PLC High

Zetor, you are just beginning the great adventure that is plc programming and machine and system control. There is no other feeling quite like the one you just experienced. You gotta love those endorphins. Welcome to the fraternity.

Welcome to the club.

I have to agree with Eric as to your next project.

You may also want to look to adding why the sequence is inibited and include that on the panel also. Even if you have to display the inforamtion as binary. The operators soon pick up on this and will generally resolve the problem without the need for you. Feet up time and more time to program.

Thanks

Thank you all for the kind words.

I'm glad this forum is here so that I could share my excitement with those that understand. I tried to explain it to my wife, she could not understand it and just gave me that (dear in the headlight look)and nodded her head. Thanks again for letting me jump up and down and say "WOW"

Zetor

I had the same problem with my wife, until she took a computer class. After writing her first program (and recovering from shock over how she could have been programming for FOUR HOURS straight without realizing it) she understood the "master of the universe" thrill this stuff can provide.

Way to Go Zetor!

Congratulations Zetor,

It won't be long now before you are looking at everything and thinking, "I could make that better w/ a PLC and such and such..."

"Hi, my name is Steve, and I'm a PLCoholic".

Well done Steve, they do say the first step to recovery is admitting that you DO have a problem and that is the hard part, personally I do not have a problem, I don't start thinking about PLC's until at least midday and I can sometimes go for a week without touching one!

I wish you luck with your 'problem'

Paul

Congrat's Zetor !!!!

It's a nice rush to come up with the solution to a problem that's been on everyone's mind

woot.gif

A severely serious piece of advice for you now that you have caught the bug
PLACE A NOTEPAD AND PENCIL ALONG SIDE THE BED EVERY NIGHT
There is nothing worse than having your sub conscious working away merrily in the middle of the night, you wake up with a brilliant solution or the very common thought "Oh you ********. That was a stupid thing to do you should have done it this way" and not having a notepad handy. You either cannot get back to sleep or go to sleep and forget the solution.
This invariably happens during commissioning when you are the last one in on the job. The attitude invariably is "We are finished why aren't you?" They all forget that they have been holding you up for weeks and think that you just download software and it works. Then the "liquidated damages" flag gets waved at you long and hard.
Welcome to the club, the sleepless nights, the frustration and the elation at the end of the day when it all comes together and works. You forget about the down side of the job then - until next time.
The following "smiles" typify a day of commissioning that we all have sometimes.
banghead :confused: mddr bawling beerchug beerchug beerchug beerchug

BobB said:
...The attitude invariably is "We are finished why aren't you?" They all forget that they have been holding you up for weeks and think that you just download software and it works...

Don't go there Bob... Been fighting THAT battle for W-A-A-A-Y to long... And I never win... :rolleyes:

beerchug

-Eric

Congratulations Zetor, There's no feeling quite like that first successful mod. And the good news is that now that your operators know you can do this, there will be no end to the improvements you an make!! Some of them might even impress management! Enjoy!!