standard (not industrial) wireless switches and routers for industrial purposes?

misamark

Hi to all!

Anybody tried to use standard (not industrial) wireless switches and routers for industrial purposes? I have one AB ethernet connection between PanelView 1500 and 5000, and I want to cut this connection to connect to one 8-port non-industrial switch and after, one wireless router? I need it in order to connect from my office, in other case I have to intall UTP cable, but it is dificult? What`s yours experiences with this? I can protect my network from unauthorized connections.

Regards!

MisaMark

If the communications in question are critical for the machine operation, performance, safety, etc. one should not put any switches except the managed type (expensive!) where the communication timing can be assured.

Otherwise I don't see any problem putting an office-grade switch instead of an industrial-grade one. As long as an office-grade switch will not be subjected to some kind of aggressive environment (heat, dust, oil) or high level of electrical noise (transformers, VFDs and such nearby).

Of course one big inconvenience is a power supply: it is much nicer to have a 24VDC power wired into an industrial-type switch than getting some outlet for an AC transformer on an office-grade one.

I have used both "regular" and industrial switches with success and have never had a failure with either.

It's probably not recommended to use a wireless between the PV and CLX, but that could be one of the wired connections. Then use the wireless to connect from your programming terminal.

In my current position, I provide controls tech support for >40 locations. As I have opportunity, I am starting to set them up on wired ethernet. Then I carry along a wireless router to plug into their system so I can connect wireless during my work there.

The biggest concern is one you've already mentioned -- security. But if you can manage that, then it should be ok!

Thanks to all;

I have never use wireless in factory; but my idea is to connect 4 production lines to wireless ethernet just to connect from my office. One of production lines have Profibus and Industral ethernet (siemens 400 and 3x300 and 4x OP17 tex pannels), second one also (similar.. and other else; one is with AB 500 and PW 1500 on Ethernet; than, I have good possibility to connect all this communication to wireless between; in case of "regular" Ethernet equipment it will not cost so much; and also, I will get an oportunity to get some data from process and make some statistic or reporting.
But it is very dificult to make wired connection because of space.

Also, I have idea to monitor some of crucial param,eters of production from my place, for maintenance in general.

Thanks for all!!

MisaMark