RSView32 and Micrologix 1100

averellen

Anyone have issues with RSView32 and Micrologix 1100?
I am working on a small project where the customer specs control logix processor, which I feel is way oversized for the project and would like to quote the 1100 as a second option.

Thanks
Adam

Before you switch to the 1100 option, find out what communications link he is using. Not all A-B PLCs support all communications - note especially that there are different A-B Ethernet links available that are not compatible. He may also be trying to standardize on RSLogix 5000, which doesn't support the 1100.

Another alternate to the ControlLogix is the CompactLogix. This is less expensive than ControlLogix and supports the same communications and programming.

I don't really see the connection between RSView32 and ML1100 in your message. What did you mean?
BTW, don't forget that ML1100 has limited number of expansion I/O you can add...

Sorry, the connection is that there is 4 stations with only one HMI. The customer has requested this, this way.

Adam

I've never programmed Control/Compact Logix controllers.
It talks about tasks. Would this be like multitasking?
Or how many machines you could successfully run off of it?

The original reason behind the 1100 was that there is a barcode scanner at each of the stations. I didn't think there was anything to use some sort of remote I/O with a barcode reader and get the ASCII string from it to the RSView system.
More or less the whole system is a RH / LH Part, with 2 stations picking parts, and minor assembly.

Thanks
Adam

I didn't mean remote I/O, I meant local expansion I/O cards. But looks like you don't really need them. If you are going to use RSView Me as HMI keep in mind that you will need CPR7 (CPR6 will not work with ML1100)

averellen said:
Thanks for the reply.

Would RSView32 work?

Adam
Don't have that experience but I would expect it to work. Maybe will need to update though...
And RSLinx should be at least 2.50

averellen said:
Anyone have issues with RSView32 and Micrologix 1100

As mentioned earlier, RSLogix 500, RSView & RSLinx have to be the latest versions.

Somewhere in RSLinx there is a default setting that has to be changed to enable online editing of a Micro 1100 {See the Tech note "G131159624"}

There are other Technotes to read about the Micro 1100, in particular, you cannot browse for online Tags like you can with other processors.

We have used the Micro 1100 with a PV+1000 as a HMI & it works ok once your software is up to date & you have read the Technotes

Cheers
Ian

Four MicroLogix 1100 controllers connected over Ethernet to a single RSView32 HMI will be no problem. Use RSLinx Classic 2.50 as your data server.

There are a couple of RSLinx Classic tweaks you will want to make, to the number of CIP connections and another setting for online editing, that are specific to the MicroLogix 1100.

The concern with these smaller controllers is when you have multiple HMI's accessing each controller; the controller can't talk to more than about 4 devices simultaneously.

This post is a little late, somehow I posted it under the wrong thread

You need to know if your customer is looking to do any type of I/O messaging. This would be a big stopper for the Micrologix 1100

You may also want to look at an article I wrote on the Micrologix 1100 that notes the 4 expansion module limitation along with some other things
http://www.twcontrols.com/index.php...id=20&Itemid=38

TW thanks for the link, helps a lot.

And thanks for the other replies.
I believe the 1100 is the best fit for cost.

Adam