What can i really do with a move command?

n8dc

đź“š Ok so if i were to input a 1 for a true and then move it what can i do after i make the move .. Say i move a 1 to I7:0 will it stay there till i need it? if not how can i move it and keep it? How about move it move it again keep it till i need it then set it back to 0.. A/B micrologix 1200 by the way ... this is my new command i need to learn . anyone got an easy program i can input and watch it work? im set up with a simulator with 3 momentary inputs one prox switch input and one maintained input.
Please help me get smarter :ROFLMAO:
Dave

Moves are usually done for word addresses, not bits. In your example you move a 1 into a real world input, when the plc updates the I/O image table, whatever the real world value is will overwrite your value. Sometimes a MOV instruction is used to move zeros to the outputs at start up, also the MOV is used to zero indexes and counter.

The attached file uses indirect addressing and a for next loop to add a bunch of numbers and then average them. The MOV instruction is used to zero the total and the index.

Dave,
If you MOVe that 1 to B3:0 instead of I7:0, then it will stay there until you change it or another command causes it to change.

You should learn about the different file types (I, O, B, N, T, C, etc) in the Micrologix and what each is used for.

Last edited:
Lancie1 said:
Dave,
If you MOVe that 1 to B3:0 instead of I7:0, then it will stay there until you change it or another command causes it to change.

You should learn about the different file types (I, O, B, N, T, C, etc) in the Micrologix and what each is used for.

I thought i knew most of em? I guess i didnt really get the n file . Ill work on it.. That helps though.
Thank You
Dave

Dave,
As my colleagues have stated you can MOV anything anywhere you choose. However, be very careful what you move to. In the case that Ken pointed out, the real input condition will override any MOV you make on the next I/O scan so the results will be very difficult to track. As Lancie points out, you can MOV that 1 to a B3 address and store it there for whatever reason you may have. But, the real value in MOV statements is to move complete word values around as Ken points out. For example, if you MOV a value into the T4:4.PRE word you can change the preset of that timer. Same is true with the C5 presets for counters. So, it depends on what you want to do and when it comes to manipulating just a single bit, it is really easier and more readily understandable to just use the XIC and the OTE to do that. But there are drawbacks, as in the case of this example, the bit addressed by the OTE is only going to be a one as long as the bit in the origin word is a one which keeps the rung and hence the OTE true. If you want to set a single bit, then using the masked MOV (MVM) is the ticket. PLCs allow many different approaches to the same thing, that is one of the marvels of the little devils.