RoboCylinder and HMI

mcalidl

I have 4 ERC series robocylinders on 3 machines (total of 12 robocylinders) and I am wanting to be able to teach or change positions for a cycle using the panelview that is at each machine. Has anyone had experience doing this? Please help.

Not sure how you would do it with a PanelView (AB). Beijer makes a driver for the robocylinder for their Cimrex line of hmi's (the driver for the newer EXTER units is supposed to be available shortly). http://hmi.beijerelectronics.com

Other than that, you could work with ascii commands but I have heard that there are a few tricks to it and haven't tried it myself.

<disclaimer> I work for a distributor of both IAI and Beijer products.

Right now they are just wired directly to the plc (4 plc inputs and 6 outputs per cylinder) not on the network. We programmed them individually using the computer software and the rs485 cable.

Beijers Cimrex panels can talk to multiple Robocylinders on a RS485 network. You append a station number on to the address within each object you embed on the screen

Then you need to decide how you want to send serial commands to the robocylinders.

Via the PLC if you have a com port available.

Do you have panelview or panelview plus?

If its panelview then does panelview have the capibility to send serial strings of your own creation?

If its panelview plus then I think kep makes a opc server software that runs on PV+ and there may be a robocylinder driver

Do you have 3 plc's or just 1 for the three machines?

If separate PLC's what are they and are they networked or networkable?

Where I'm going, is you could possibly just get one Beijer unit, and connect it to the Robobylinders and to a plc. It has the capability to have dual drivers active at one time.

If so, then you could pass the data through the Beijer.

Izabella that is a great idea, however, kep doesn't make a driver for this IA ERC series Robocylinder. Also, are you sure the OPC server can run on the PV+. Have not heard of that, but it would be nice if it can.