AB Flex IO

bbear

I have used different types of PLCs but not AB Flex IO.
I was wanting to connect a Laptop out near some process equipment for check out at the Flex IO modules. It would have a hardwired connector and the laptop could be plug in and out as needed. Could someone provide me information on how to do this and/or where to get the information.?
Would the female connector be wired at the Flex IO Adapter? If so where? Also would the set up on the lap top be the same as connecting at that processor?

Thanks

You did not mention what PLC this is being used with ControlLogix,SLC, or PLC5. You also did not mention what network you are using. It will make a difference in the answer.

Please post more details about your system configuration.

RSL

Flex IO is not a PLC. It is a modular I/O system that is designed to interface with a PLC through some type of communication protocol such as ControlNet, DeviceNet, EthernetIP, etc...

The PLC that is being used is most likely an AB type PLC such as CLX or SLC but that is not a requirement.

The interface module in the host PLC rack should provide all the information that you need about the FlexIO modules. You should look into hooking into the actual PLC to get the information that you want. If you can talk to the PLC, then you can talk to the FlexIO modules.

By hooking into the actual PLC, you can avoid having to use extra hardware on your laptop to communicate with networks such as DeviceNet and ControlNet (to list a few).

But like RSL said, if you provide us with more info on the configuration, we can further steer you in the right direction.

Last edited:
There is also a FlexLogix PLC, which uses the Flex I/O. Again, if this is the case we will need to know what network daughter card (i.e. DeviceNet, ControlNet, or Ethernet/IP) is installed in the FlexLogix CPU. If no network cards are installed, all FlexLogix CPU's have an RS-232/DF1 port. For this you would simply need a 9-pin, null-modem cable and configure the DF1 driver in RSLinx.

PLC 5 is being used and no network. Sorry for not including more information at the beginning of the question.

If using a PLC-5, the Flex I/O is most likely connected to the PLC-5 via Remote I/O (blue hose), ControlNet (coax) or DeviceNet. If it is Remote I/O or ControlNet, you will have to connect directly to the PLC-5 to look at the FLEX I/O; if it is DeviceNet, you can connect to the network at the FLex I/O using a 1784-PCD card and a probe cable.

You can determine the network type by simpling looking at the adaptor module in the FlexIO rack. The adaptor module is the VERY FIRST unit in the rack. Take a close look at the connector type and/or cable type. Or you can just reference the AB part number. It will looking something like 1794-XXXX.

Let us know.

Strictly I/O Scanning

The 1794-ASB is an adapter for the A-B "Remote I/O" network. This network dates back to 1979 and is exclusively for the scanning of I/O data from a wide variety of network adapters.

RIO does not allow programming terminal access to the PLC-5 controller. You cannot plug any kind of cable or card into a RIO network and go online with the PLC.

This feature is one of the reasons that ControlNet is built the way it is, to provide both I/O and messaging services. You can plug in a 1784-PCC card to the "Network Access Port" at any I/O drop (like a 1794-ACN15) and go online with the controller.

bbear said:
I have used different types of PLCs but not AB Flex IO.
I was wanting to connect a Laptop out near some process equipment for check out at the Flex IO modules. It would have a hardwired connector and the laptop could be plug in and out as needed. Could someone provide me information on how to do this and/or where to get the information.?
Would the female connector be wired at the Flex IO Adapter? If so where? Also would the set up on the lap top be the same as connecting at that processor?

Thanks

In this type of situation, if I have a PLC that is ethernet capable, I always connect a wireless router to the network. That way I can use my laptop's wireless ethernet connection to roam around the plant and commission and program right at the device of interest.

Ian