RSView ME v3.20 Restore a lost APA File!!!!!

SNK

I have just wasted 3 hours of development time. I created my MER file from the APA working file, and then for some reason, deleted the main application using application manager, in win2k.

Now I cannot go back and edit any further!

Is there a way to convert my MER file back to the apa file?

Thanks for any help.

Well, at least I can run the app in the PV+, but I am scared to go any further....maybe it still exists on my laptop somewhere.....

HELP!!!

The APA file is the backup or archive file. It is not the 'working file' you are talking about. You have to 'restore' the application first which converts the APA file back into your 'application' or 'working file'.

The MER file can only be created within the application and the APA file is not useful until it is 'restored'. In other words, you did NOT create the MER file from the APA file (not directly anyways).

When you delete an application with the Application Manager, you don't delete the APA file but rather the application.

So with that said, if you deleted the application only, you may still have the APA file available. That would assume that you actually created it at one time. This would have been done manually with the Application Manager program.

But to answer your question, I am unaware of any way to uncompile the MER file back into editable source code.

If you have RS View ME on your laptop you might be able to restore the application.

Start up the runtime file on RS View ME Runtime. It creates a temporary file on your computer as long as it is running. The file are located in your Local Settings\Temp\. Copy these files back into your project files for Studio ME and you can work on the project again.

You have to create the name of the application in RS View studio first so that you can paste them into it, when you copy it however.

SNK said:
I have just wasted 3 hours of development time. I created my MER file from the APA working file, and then for some reason, deleted the main application using application manager, in win2k.

Now I cannot go back and edit any further!

Is there a way to convert my MER file back to the apa file?

Thanks for any help.

Well, at least I can run the app in the PV+, but I am scared to go any further....maybe it still exists on my laptop somewhere.....

HELP!!!

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=187012&postcount=7

Thanks people.
I have been at least able to gain access to the gfx's.
I have not been able to restore the whole program though.
Maybe I am misunderstanding something.

I can see the *MER folder, and all of its contents.
The next step is HOW do I make this into an application again?
I have tried to put the *MER folder in the

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME

(Where all the other projects are located), and I cannot seem to make RSView see the folder as a working project.

I have basically opened the previous version of the file that I am trying to update, and pasted the new screens into the old application.

Can anyone indicate what I am doing wrong?

It was not necessary to manual copy the files as you did. That alone does not work. Instead, do the following:

When you open RSView Studio click on the New tab, type in the name you wish to use for the project. Click Import, and select RSView Machine Edition Project. I'm in version 4.0 so it may be worded differently. It seems like it used to say something about Legacy project. Either way, use that option and then point to where the .med file is stored. It will take the files from where ever you have them stored on your PC and place them in the appropriate location.

OG

Hello, Siva. Welcome to the forum.

For RSView ME user manuals, please navigate in RSView Studio to select Help -> Online Books -> User's Guide Volume 1 and Volume 2.

You may also find these *.PDF files installed on your computer in the following directory:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Rockwell\Help

These particular manuals are only available in electronic format.