Pause function in Logix 500 for a micro 1500

madohman

I need to pause a timer via an input.

When cycle is running and triggering outputs based on its location in the timer and the operator pushes button, I want it to stop right where it is. When they press it again, I want it to pick up right where it left off.

Is there such a thing as a pause function. Everything I know says when I make a timer non active, it resets to 0 and starts over when activated again.

Thanks for any information somebody could provide.

Fire a coil to start and stop a retentive timer (RTO). Your .ACC (accumulated value) won't reset until you use the RES coil (reset).

You'll need a flip flop to toggle a bit from a single pushbutton, then use teh bit to drive the RTO, and add a reset instruction to clear the ACC when conditions require...

You say a flip flop to toggle the bit. I usually just use a counter, when it = 1 engergize bit, when it =2 then reset. Is there an easier way to do this?

There are many ways to skin a cat and they all work. Do a search for flip/flop or button toggle to find alternate ways. OkiePC's method only uses bits, no counters required.

You say a flip flop to toggle the bit. I usually just use a counter, when it = 1 engergize bit, when it =2 then reset. Is there an easier way to do this?

Assuming that you are using one shots to increment the counter, otherwise the counter will accumulate each scan as long as the button is pressed.

Flip flops, IMO, are better when only 2 states ( toggle ) are
required. If more states are required off the one button, then a sequencer of some description should be used ( this can be a counter I guess ).

Just my 5c ( we don't have 2c anymore )

I did a search on the flip flops and I am not finding a good example. Do one of you guys know of a thread to point me at?But in my time of searching, I have already find different ways to do some other things that I currently do. This site deffinatley has some great information on it.

Thanks everybody!!

scottmurphy said:
Assuming that you are using one shots to increment the counter, otherwise the counter will accumulate each scan as long as the button is pressed.

Flip flops, IMO, are better when only 2 states ( toggle ) are
required. If more states are required off the one button, then a sequencer of some description should be used ( this can be a counter I guess ).

And yes, it does accumulate 1 per scan, unless I program around it. I know I have ran into that before and I went around it somehow, but the flip flop sounds like it is much better. I just can't find a very good example.

scottmurphy said:

I thought a CTU only counted up on a False to True transition.

scottmurphy said:
The counter instructions (CTU, CTD) are transitional instructions requiring a false-to-true transition to increment or decrement.

Go ahead and use the counter - that's what I always do.

scottmurphy said:
Just my 10c (we don't have 5c anymore either).

The counter instructions (CTU, CTD) are transitional instructions requiring a false-to-true transition to increment or decrement.

Forgot about that, I guess it is personal preference whether to use a counter or flip flop. I guess sometimes for 'bubbas' ( that would be me ) understanding the counter logic is easier than the flip flop logic

Just my 10c (we don't have 5c anymore either).

oops, forgot that too. How long before we no longer have the 10c?