Biometric HMI

Jon R

Hi, I have been using Idec PLCs and HMIs for a few years now to control sites where there are a number of security gates/bollards/barriers that need interlinking. All previous screens have used either password protection or activation from a master screen in a secure area some distance away.

However we have been asked if we can use a biometric reader with the screen to secure access. I am waiting for Moeller to get back to me about using their HMI screens as they run on Windows CE and have a USB port.

Does anyone else have any experience of this? I want something that uses manufacturers software to setup the O/I, to reduce development time, but will allow deviced such as biometrics to be used.

Cheers.

Not an expert, but if the Biometric reader provides clean contacts, in the PLC & HMI that I use, you can lock the screen based on the status of a Digital Input.

Have done something similar with a standard key switch.

Thanks for the reply, but we have looked at that option and reckon it would be unsuitable as those that provide clean contacts aren't tamperproof.

I am looking for a data based solution as some sites are high security and I have been asked to come up with the best solution I can.

Fair enough, how far do you go though? If the PLC can control
the gates etc, can those contacts not be tampered with?

Anyway,a nother option, does the Biometric device have serial comms? I know they do to access control systems, don't know if they support MODBUS, could be another option, as almost PLC's
support MODBUS, otherwise, if you could get the protocol, you could write your own, if the PLC you select supports this function?

If so, you could still lock the screen until a correct result has been read?

On these sites we have to do as much as we physically can to prevent unauthorised entry.

The PLC is normally under a least two locks. The main point of protection is normally the controls at the guarding post, with the PLC being remote.

The only ones I have looked at are USB based as this would be a nice neat solution if it will work with a CE or other OS based screen. Will look at a serial solution as well though, thanks for the suggestion.