PLC5 (1785-L20E) Ethernet port for programming, while serial port for networking?

flyers

Hi guys,

I've a strange request here;

1) Can the ethernet port of the L20E CPU use as programming port? How can this 15 pins connector be connected to the switch? I need a special cable or a self construct can work?

2) While the serial port (convert to RS485 using RS232-RS485 convertor) can be use as data monitoring usinbg RSView? The RSView PC is located about 400m from the PLC 5 CPU. Customer does not want to use fiber Ethernet due to cost saving.

Hope someone can comment on this. Thank you.

Without getting into the "why in the world would they want to set it up like this?".

The ethernet port is referred to as an AUI port which used to be extremely common for connecting devices to 10Base5 and 10Base2. Just do a search for an AUI 10BaseT transciever. I don't have one here (at home) but have a couple at work. I think they are made by CentreCom or Allied Telesyn, or something like that.

As far as using the serial port to connect to RSView. Yes, you can do that, but you will need to use something to get the additional distance you require. I'm sure someone here can suggest a good method for extending the serial connection.

OG

** EDIT ** Here is a link to one of the transcievers. This is the same as the one I use. This is just a place I found through Google.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=814143&Redir=1

JesperMP said:
Hi flyers.

1) Yes. Check this thread:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=24327

2) Yes.

I would go for ethernet in any case. It cannot be that much more expensive.

Jesper,

1) Thanks for the link.

2) If going for ethernet, it's better to go for DH+ (install a 1784-PKTX card in the PC), it'll save the cost of using fiber optic ethernet cable & CAT5 to Fiber converters, furthermore the DH+ network is proven work & stable, we've install quite a number of DH+ network also. Do you agree with me?

Note: If not mistaken, the normal CAT5 Ethernet cable can go up to maximum 100meter from the node to switch, right?

Operaghost said:
Without getting into the "why in the world would they want to set it up like this?".

The ethernet port is referred to as an AUI port which used to be extremely common for connecting devices to 10Base5 and 10Base2. Just do a search for an AUI 10BaseT transciever. I don't have one here (at home) but have a couple at work. I think they are made by CentreCom or Allied Telesyn, or something like that.

As far as using the serial port to connect to RSView. Yes, you can do that, but you will need to use something to get the additional distance you require. I'm sure someone here can suggest a good method for extending the serial connection.

OG

** EDIT ** Here is a link to one of the transcievers. This is the same as the one I use. This is just a place I found through Google.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=814143&Redir=1

Hi OG,

Regarding the transciever, we need a cable to connect between the PLC 5 (15 pins) and the transciever, right? The cable is 1785-TAM?

"As far as using the serial port to connect to RSView. Yes, you can do that, but you will need to use something to get the additional distance you require. I'm sure someone here can suggest a good method for extending the serial connection." Yes, by using RS232-RS485 convertor we can extend the length to 4000feet (1333meter).

There must exist an AUI which converts from 15-pin D-shell to fiber in one step. Search a little more and you should find one.

I have gone to 150 meters with regular copper ethernet.

DH+ could be the simplest solution everything taken into account.
However, if you have made an ethernet connection, afterwards your management will find it "indispensable" (just my prediction). It is the most future-proof solution.

http://www.provantage.com/allied-telesis-formerly-telesyn-mx20t-05~7ALLI094.htm

We used one that looked like this...It connected directly to the front of the sidecar enet processor with a sliding lock to keep it from falling out. The RJ45 connector plugged right into it. If it sticks out too far, you could use a separate cable for the 15 pin D-shell connector side.

I agree about using DH+ in favor of serial for the RSView station. You may also consider using the ethernet for it too, as long as you can keep the process protected from the outside world through a router or something.

Okies/Jesper,

Thanks for your information, I think i'll try my best to talk to them to switch to DH+ network, since we are also confident of make it work nicely and less hassle to source out the transciever as well.