PLC5 on DH+ Question.

ptine

Thanks in advance to everyone who chooses to help out. First of all, at work we have 8 PLC5s (all enhanced) and 2 PCs on our DH+ network. The question I have pertains to how the either of the 2 PCs gets updated when you do online program changes with the other PC. Specifically, if I use one PC to enter a branch with a XIO contact on a PLC (lets call it node 2) I know that I can upload the PLC's image to the second PC. However, I can't seem to get the instruction descriptions to transfer to the second PC. I believe what we do at work is save the changed program from the original PC (the one which was used to do the changes) on a 3.5" floppy and use what we refer to as a sneakernet to transfer the new program into the second PC. We call it sneakernet because we have to physically get to the second PLC via sneakers (workboots & truck actually). Can someone give me details of the best way to update the "other" PC when one does online changes from a different PC. I would give a detailed description for the sneakernet approach but I haven't had a chance to perform it yet. Anyone care to share their knowledge?

ptine,

We use a "Central File Server" or 3rd PC to hold the files. This machines file folder is shared over the company LAN which is a seperate network from the PLC ethernet. Each PC used for programming will need 2 ethernet ports. Or 1 ethernet port and one "PLC" port, whether it is DH-485,RS232, DH+ or whatever your using. This way our files are safe & available no matter what happens to the hardware out on the floor. The 3rd PC's files are also backed up weekly to a tape drive & mailed out to another phisical location for safekeeping in case of fire or tornado at our location. Expensive but necessary in my opinion. I have used the sneakernet system before also. No system is perfect. The one we use depends on the programmers to copy the files to the backup location manualy. Rockwell sells a even more expensive solution if you have money to spend.
BD

Thanks for the quick reply Bikerdude. Sounds like you have a nice set-up. We are not changing any hardware in the near future. Our management subscribes to the "if it ain't broke why would we pay to fix it" philosophy. Keeping this in mind, I would appreciate some detail on what methods our colleauges use and recommend. Even a detailed break down of the "sneakernet" method would be helpful. We had a minor issue created today at work because 2 people were looking at 2 different programs (one had not been updated after some changes). No big deal but a little confusion could be heard over the radio. I didn't think it was very professional. Trying to come up with a solution. Thanks again.

Database access

In RSLogix, under the option tab you can configure where to store the updated database. You can use a central program terminal or a dedicated server. This saves the files to one location. If your program terminals are not networked together, I would suggest doing so and saving to both the local Drive and the "server". Back up the server on a weekly basis, depending on how many changes are made. You can also save the files to a memory stick and use the stick at each program terminal. This would depend on how many people make program changes. If it is just you, this can be used if you cant network the program terminals.

The best method would be to network the two PCs seperately as Bruce stated. Since you already have the DH+ network setup, you could just connect the two PCs via ethernet and share a directory for storing the files. I have found ethernet to be much faster than sneakernet.
icon7.gif

Marc

At this risk of changing this threads direction.

Hello Bruce99. Thanks for the input (no pun intended). I just spent the last little while looking in the "tools" tab wrt the database options on my bench PLC5 that I have at home. My options are tools/data/ascii export
/ascii import
/native import
/delete DB and so on.
I will spend more time going over all the options, however, I had difficulties grasping a few concepts. I thought I had a good understanding of what I had asked but now I'm thoroughly confused. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to lead anyone with the same problems down the wrong path. At work we have the 2 forementioned PCs on our DH+. Other than the DH+ these 2 PCs are not networked. What I have been told from my co-workers wrt the procedure to keep both PCs updated (essentially synchronised) whenever there are any online changes (wrt descriptions ect.) is to copy the actual .RSP file onto a 3.5" floppy and upload this file into the other PC and somehow merge these 2 files so that it becomes the default .RSP file that RSLogix5 will merge with the ladder program in the PLC with when you go online to it. I have never had an opportunity to perform this procedure but I was originally asking if someone knew of a better approach and could help me out by detailing the forementioned "sneakernet" approach. Bruce99 enlightened me to the database technique but after the time I spent looking into that in RSLogix help menu I'm under the impression that this is a tool used for a completely different purpose. Obviously, I need to spend more time researching this tool and I thank Bruce99 for directing me down this path. However, does anyone have any "input" wrt the "sneakernet" approach or better yet an improved alternative. Thanks.

If you save the RSP file on a disk after making changes on PC1 for instance all you have to do is save that file on PC2 (overwrite the existing file in PC2) and then go online. There is no merging necessary. Logix is smart enough to figure out that this is the current program in the PLC and will go online without having to do an upload or anything.

Or you could Export the database files (I believe there is 4 of them) on PC1 to a disk and import them into the program on PC2. The first option is easier though.

Bruce99 enlightened me to the database technique but after the time I spent looking into that in RSLogix help menu I'm under the impression that this is a tool used for a completely different purpose.
Ptine, If you are looking under the RSLogix Help menu for Bruce's technique, then you did not understand the method that he is explaining. What he said was to add a second (Ethernet) connection between the PC's (Personal Computers, not the PLCs) and use that connection to transfer the changed RSLogix files from the Revised PC to the Other PCs. In other words, do the same thing that you do now with the floppy disk, except over a cable, that has no connection to RSLogix, but instead connects the PCs that are connected to the PLCS via DH+.

Of course, this will require some hardwire (as opposed to software).

The correct RSLogix menu to change where your program files are stored is "Tools, Options, Preferences, Directory to Hold Program Libraries:"

Last edited:
I, too, did the sneakernet thing at my last job to keep 4 roll-around maintenance PCs sychronized with the my office and network backups, although I was able to get them to buy me a USB memory stick which is much more useful and faster than a floppy. I had a practice which helped out:

What I did (using the database export and MSExcel) was to put something in all or some the available address descriptions. Like the word SPARE for example. Then, when making changes, instead of changing the comment of an existing address, try to use a new one and change it's name from SPARE to your new usage. I would also try to plan future changes and get all the address comments taken care of ahead of time as much as possible.

Then, if you go online from the other PC with an outdated copy of the logic and see the word SPARE in some logic on the screen, at least you'll know you don't have the latest and greatest copy.

Ideally though, you should try to network them. If you can network the two PCs, then always open the "master" or main copy of the logic.rss file when you go online from either PC. Do this by setting both PCs default RSLogix file search path to the same shared location.

To change the default paths, go to the main menu "Tools" > "Options..." > and look at the "System Options" dialog box on the "System Preferences" tab toward the bottom you'll see Project Files Search Path.

That's where you change the default location that RSLogix looks for files when opening one or going online.

I normally leave the secondary save path alone so that if I am not connected to the main source path (network location or on the other PC in your case) for whatever reason, RSLogix still has a place to look locally.

Then, anytime changes are made, you can copy the saved file to the secondary PC as a form of back-up using windows explorer. In a case where one PC dies, you still have a good copy on the other one.

Another thing that will crop up when you get two computers using the same shared rslogix file is that the RSLinx drivers need to have the same names. If the drivers are given different names in each PC, then you will get an error when you open the file first and hit the "Go Online" button. The system communication path is saved with the ladder program and contains the driver name from the PC that last saved the logic.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Just got in the door. It's 1:48 a.m. my time. Worked my regular 12 hour shift today (6a.m-6p.m.). Came home to 3 nephews terrorizing our household. Entertained them for 3 hours and then spent the rest of the evening working on an old golf cart that I'm pimping up. Couldn't go to bed without checking out the forum. Is there a PLCS.net Anonymous? I just read through the last 3 posts. Thanks guys I think I have a handle on it. I just don't have the energy to do any hands on experimenting at the moment but I assure you your efforts will not be in vain. After a good nights sleep I will put my 5 through its daily excercises. If anyone feels they have anything they might like to add, all information is always appreciated. Thanks again guys and I hope to be talking to you soon. Nighty night.

Ptine,

How do you "pimp up" an old golf cart? Does that mean to turn it into a pimp? This must be a slang term that means something else also, way above this country boy's level.

So Pimp My Ride is a TV game show? Does the term mean to add accessories to a vehicle to the point that it becomes ridiculous?

To pimp an old golf cart you disassemble it, sandblast and paint it all (preferably corvette yellow), install a 3" lift kit, put new rims and tires on it (aluminum rims with big "boots"(tires)), a kicka$$ stereo, built-in cooler (12 volt mini frigde), new custom built seats (I built them at home) and you could "tune" the 400 cc 2 stoke to lay rubber (I'm keeping my engine fairly stock because my neices and nephews will be riding it but it can be done by just removing a restrictor plate and installing a new carb.). Presto.......a "pimped out" golf cart. P.S. Its at my cousin's garage and I don't have any photos handy but I'll post photos in the near future if anyone is interested.

Last edited: