Panelbuilder "fail to open document"

SCUBA NooB

Can anyone help? I have a panelbuilder32.PVA document that only opens in V3.80. I opened it, saved it as a .PBA file which then allowed V3.81 (build 316) to open the file. Edits were done to the file using V3.81 and downloaded to a terminal. BUT if I upload the file (i.e. as a .PVA) neither version will open it. V3.81 gives the "fail to open document" message even though it will open the original .PBA. Even though V3.81 allows a save as .PVA it saves it but then wont re-open it?????? I want a .PVA to allow the file to be verified using windows explorer.

You should pick a version of PanelBuilder and stick with it. Panelbuilder is a finicky application. IMHO converting a project back and forth between versions is likely trigger some oddball glitches.

Each time I've had to deal with PB32 releases, and PV firmware updates, I tried to migrate all of our stuff forward and delete all our old stuff for reasons just like the one you encountered.

Paul

SCUBA NooB;

It has been awhile since I used PanelBuilder32 so, if I remeber correctly the file you upload from the panelview is compiled and can not be changed. You could download it to a new panel and it would work, but you can not edit it. Like I said it has been awhile since I worked with PanelBuilder32 and I might be getting it confused with Siemens HMI software. If I am wrong I am sure sombody will say so.

Larry

Reply to Paul, I could not agree more, but this was an "outside" job and i'm left to deal with it. The site where I work has so many screens it hard to update them when new versions are released. We use two versions of PB32 as V3.81 wont open 100% of our back-ups, but once you have opened and saved with V3.81 , V3.80 is of no use. This file required V3.80 but the contractor did'nt have it hence the original conversion. Are we saying that this problem is unreversable?

VERSION 2.6Software will not do this as there are applications used in the project not supported in V2.6

FIRMWARE UPGRADE
Would this not erase the program in the unit? The problem I have is that I do not have a verified back up as a .PVA is required to verify.

Looks like i'll have to edit the original and hope to replicate all the edits done lately. DAMN YOU ALLEN BRADLEY!!!

Last edited:
scuba noob convert the pv 1000 to lower firmware & then convert to panel builder 2.6 file as open in older versions

this may works but i not sure what effect in the application file

SCUBA NooB said:
VERSION 2.6Software will not do this as there are applications used in the project not supported in V2.6

FIRMWARE UPGRADE
Would this not erase the program in the unit? The problem I have is that I do not have a verified back up as a .PVA is required to verify.

Looks like i'll have to edit the original and hope to replicate all the edits done lately. DAMN YOU ALLEN BRADLEY!!!

I'd first get a PCMCIA ATA flash card and backup the PVA file to that right out of the PV directly. That should give you a safe retreat route. Then. you could safely upgrade the Panelview's firmware and try getting it to work.

Seen this before. Many times.

Before you upgrade the firmware on Panelview.....

Try doing a RE-Install of Panelbuilder32 software on your PC, and try opening the file again.

Last edited:
Just for interest using two versions of Panelbuider (V3.80 and 3.81) and deleting various parts of the original, on 3.80, the problem was traced to ASCII entry boxes. With only these deleted V3.81 opened the original file with no problems. This does not solve the problem but was interesting to see what stopped 3.81 opening the original!