control net wiring

ddwilson1

This is the first time I have used Control Net and have not found anything saying either way. The Flex Logix PLC and old panelview 600 are less than 3' apart and are communicating fine using a double shielded RG6 cable connected at each end. My customer is insisting that this will not work and T taps and terminating resisters must be used for each device. I am thinking that just putting a regular BNC Tee and terminating resister would be enough and much less expensive. Any thoughts?

May want to check out www.controlnet.org

I have never used control net but they offer different type taps, T, Y, angled, and straight so I assume the taps may offer terminating resistors built in if necessary.

I mainly posted to keep it high to see what others will say. I can only assume that the customer has worked with it before and may want it to conform to the specifications as he knows it.

Let's begin with page 1

The ControlNet Co-Axial Media Planning and Installation Guide, Publication number CNET-IN002 describes, with diagrams, how to install ControlNet trunklines for large and small systems.

Connecting two nodes directly with RG6 cable is not the correct way to install ControlNet, though it may work for two devices in close proximity.

Putting in a generic BNC tee connector and terminating resistor is also not the correct way to install ControlNet, though it may work for two devices in close proximity.

The correct way to install ControlNet is to use approved ControlNet taps and 75 ohm BNC terminating resistors. This correct method is described at length in many Rockwell and ControlNet International documents, but the best is still the venerable Planning & Installation Guide.

ControlNet tap is not just BNC Tee, it has some electronics inside.

So answer is "no", you must have tap for each node, and 2 terminatring 75 Ohm resistors at both ends.

DD, to paraphrase Ken, it will work without all the expensive equipment (basic physical & electrical laws always apply), but if something ELSE goes wrong, some lawyer can always point out, "yeah, you didn't follow the recommended procedures".

It is amazing in the modern litigageous world, that anyone can build anything.