RSView32 alarm questions

maxtin

Hi, I have some newbie questions

1-Can I change the severity of a alarm tag at runtime? if yes, what's the command line?

2-Is there a way to ignore an alarm without suppressing it (SuppressOn command)? Im thinking of maybe setting a severity level that disable all alarm notifications but i dont know if that's possible (i can only enable/disable the alarm bell not the alarm itself).

3-are there any other attributes from an alarm tag other than the Suppressed and Acknowledged bit values that can be modified at runtime?

Im asking those questions because I want (like you can guess) be able to "suppress" an alarm without explicitly suppressing it with the SuppressOn command. Im trying to do that into my VBA code but i want to use rsview commands. reply if you have an idea.

regards and TIA

Last edited:
another question: is it possible to filter the alarm list by severities? can the filtration be done at runtime? if yes, what command?

Maxtin,
Yes, you can change alarm severities and change alarms, and most of the other things you asked about, without writing a VBA program, but you need RSview32 Works to do them.

In RSVIew32 Works, there is an Alarm Setup menu, where you define the 8 Alarm everity levels, and what each one does. I normally set one Severity Level to have no alarm bell, neither internal or external bell. That way, I can have an alarm that only logs to a file or a printer, with no audible event.

For each Alarm Severity Level, there are 4 parameters that can be set, or not (in RSView32 Works): Log to Alarm Log File, Log to Printer, Internal Bell, External Bell. Also, under the Alarm "Suppression" menu, a suppression event can be logged to file or printer, or not.

Last edited:
Lancie1 said:
Maxtin,
Yes, you can change alarm severities and change alarms, and most of the other things you asked about, without writing a VBA program, but you need RSview32 Works to do them.

In RSVIew32 Works, there is an Alarm Setup menu, where you define the 8 Alarm everity levels, and what each one does. I normally set one Severity Level to have no alarm bell, neither internal or external bell. That way, I can have an alarm that only logs to a file or a printer, with no audible event.

For each Alarm Severity Level, there are 4 parameters that can be set, or not (in RSView32 Works): Log to Alarm Log File, Log to Printer, Internal Bell, External Bell. Also, under the Alarm "Suppression" menu, a suppression event can be logged to file or printer, or not.

yes im using rsview32 works and im aware of the Alarm Setup severity option....but I want to do more than just disabling the bell...ex: i dont want the alarm to show up in the alarm list object. Also, i would like to change the severity of an specific alarm at runtime (at a specific time).

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you would have an alarm, but not want it to show up in the alarm log or alarm viewer, why not just delete or disable it?

I would think if you want to change the severity at a specific time, you could handle it in the PLC, or by possibly using a derived tag.