Gearbox vendors

Tackdriver

Hello All
I have some not-so-wonderful gearboxes. I want to uprate their internals so they can handle more power.

I have thus far contacted Lufkin and Philadelphia Gear.
Are there any other gearbox vendors that can handle uprates?

Whose Gearboxes? I used to use Cone/Textron boxes and left the rebuilds to them. I've since changed to Stober and haven't had to rebuild yet.

Best in the business are Inmara, by a very, very long way, they are the Ferrari of gearbox manufacturers and are very competitively priced.

May want to checkout Boston Gear http://www.bostongear.com/index.asp
Look at Distributor locator, it will provide several local companies that may be able to do the upgrades.

One of their distributors is Motion Industries, not sure how much you deal with them but I would call them too, they may be able to offer new items for your needs at comparable costs to upgrading.

I would stay away from "Gear Boxes" all together.
Go with a "speed Reducer" like Sumotomo (Spelling?)
A Motion IND. rep should be of some help with sizing.
it is syclick (spellng?) pin type drive.
In a gear box only about 10 to 20% of the gear teeth are incontact at one time in a syclick (spellng?) pin type drive 80 to 90% of the pins are in contact at any one time.
They can be pricy but with proper lubrication they will out live the rest of your equiptment.
Just my two cents.

Tackdriver said:
Hello All
I have some not-so-wonderful gearboxes. I want to uprate their internals so they can handle more power.

How big are these gearboxes? Are you trying to handle more power, more torque or just make the gears last longer? A little more info would help us give you better advice.

The power transmission field is very crowded. Some vendors specialize in one type, for example parallel shaft or worm gear or concentric or whatever. I suggest you do a search on Thomas Register for specifics.

You don't mention size or application. It might be cheaper to buy a whole new reducer rather tghan try to rebuild.