OT: Dell Dimension Core 2 Duo

504bloke

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi

Just got one of these to upgrade my home pc (P4)

Spent a few hours putting my software on (Logix5,500,5000, MicroWin, S7 stuff, GX Developer, etc etc)

Also put Office 2003 on and Autocad 2006 and Panda Platinum 2007.

These were all on my old machine which run pretty quick but had developed a few problems hence the new pc....

Has anyone had any trouble with the Core 2 ? As this machine is painfully slow, all i seem to keep watching is the hour glass !!!

There seem to be no tasks running that shouldnt be ?

Or perhaps i have had too much red wine!

Or perhaps i have had too much red wine!

One of my customers always reckons the software I do for him is covered in red wine stains.

I have a core duo - 2.4mhz, 4gig RAM, RAID mirror hard drives (SATA), Dell 30" monitor, good nVidia card and it goes pretty well. I really cannot complain - the slowest part is the RAID mirror drives - writes to one first and then copies to the other.

Also have had no problems with software - CAD is an Ozzie one Caddsman, Office 2003, Omron CX-One, Siemens Step 7, have not put any other PLC software on yet.

I did invest in Diskeeper though - it defragments on the fly by using resources that are not being used by other processes. It is brilliant. Have you defragged yet? One of the biggest slow down problems with computers.

Evening Dave,

Is McAfee loaded on it? Just bought a Dell (Latitude 620) Dual core doodah, and occassionally when i boot it up, it runs soooooooo slow its painful??? A quick reboot and seems fine again....

I'm suspecting the McAfee stuff to be the culprit and am tempted to uninstall it.

Just wondered...:whistle:

Rob.

Thanks chaps.

I uninstalled McFee when i got the machine, its only be up and running a day now!

I just found one culprit FDM Download Manager, whilst it was showing as 0% resources in the task manager i have just killed it and the system has speeded up, its still not as fast as i feel it should be though.

Will look for McFee stuff i may have missed, i'll also take a look at DiskKeeper (although as i have only been running a day i doubt they need a defrag!)

The system is a 9200 dimension 21" screen, 4Gb Memory, nVidea Graphics 300Gb Raid and seems ok excpet for the SNAIL PACE!

I do not and will not use Norton or McAfee as they both hog resources but it would be strange if they hogged them that much.

Delighted with Diskeeper and use NOD32 as my virus scanner - only pay about $90 AU for 2 years support and never have to buy a new version as a core update is included in the maintenance. Scans fast too and has not missed a virus in the wild for about 7 years now according the Virus Bulletin. My Firewall is Sygate but Symantec bought it and closed it down so looking for a new firewall.

BobB said:
I do not and will not use Norton or McAfee as they both hog resources but it would be strange if they hogged them that much.

Delighted with Diskeeper and use NOD32 as my virus scanner - only pay about $90 AU for 2 years support and never have to buy a new version as a core update is included in the maintenance. Scans fast too and has not missed a virus in the wild for about 7 years now according the Virus Bulletin. My Firewall is Sygate but Symantec bought it and closed it down so looking for a new firewall.

Ill look into diskeepeer. used to use NAV until a few years back when i had lots of hassle with it, since then changed to Panda and haven't (yet) had a problem!

Last edited:
Dave, you can downlaod a 30 day trial version. I would suggest the Pro Premier version for a single machine as it has lots of features. They have versions for servers too and all flavours in between.

NOD32 is great too and does not slow the machine down much at all.

www.diskeeper.com

BobB said:
Dave, you can downlaod a 30 day trial version. I would suggest the Pro Premier version for a single machine as it has lots of features. They have versions for servers too and all flavours in between.

NOD32 is great too and does not slow the machine down much at all.

www.diskeeper.com

Thanks ill give it a try

Does it play nicely with activations ?

I have not had problems with either of these programs with Omron (licence numbare as in Microsucks) or Siemens S7 activation. Have not tried with others though at this stage. New computer and have not had cause to load GX-Developer, LM90, Actwin etc yet. Will if I have a job come up when I need to load the programs.