Conveyor system

mandy

112 Cummings St. Hartshill Stoke On Trent Staffs.
Conveyor System
Hi, I'm a beginner on PLC, could anyone help me.
On pressing the start button (green) the conveyor should run only if a component is detected on the conveyor, at the right hand sensor, otherwise the conveyor should be inactive and 'no component detect' (red) light should illuminates until the program is reset.

A stop (red) button is used as an overall stop and reset.

Once the component reaches cylinder 2, the cylinder energises and pushes the component into the middle parts bin. At this point the cylinder is to de-energise and a green 'component despatched' light is to be illuminated for 5 seconds. Finally the conveyor is to stop.

Develop a program for the Siemens PLC system to implement the above system.

Include in your documentation your complete annotated ladder diagram, together with a list of all inputs ant outputs used with their associated addresses.

Inputs
I0.0 Green pushbutton
I0.1 Red pushbutton
I0.2 Sensor 1
I0.3 Sensor 2
I0.4 Cylinder 1
I0.5 Cylinder 2
I0.6 Cylinder 3
I0.7 Switch 5 (on model)
Outputs
Q0.0 Motor forward
Q0.1 Green lamp
Q0.2 Red lamp
Q0.3 Reverse motor
Q0.4 Cylinder 1
Q0.5 Cylinder 2
Q1.0 Cylinder 3

Hello mandy;

First, welcome to the forum.

Second point: we will not do your homework for you, because you will not learn from the exercise unless you really do work at it. We will gladly give suggestions, and maybe correct some of your work, but don't expect to get anything for nothing.
Having said that, one question: what Siemens PLC are you using? S5, S7-200 and S7-300/400 are very different beasts, have different programming software and different programming standards. We can give you more help later with your answer to this.
Now. maybe you don't realize this, but your logic is already partially structured in the way the problem has been written.

Take the first line:
On pressing the start button (green) the conveyor should run only if a component is detected on the conveyor, at the right hand sensor,

Try writing this same sentence in logic pseudo-code:

(1) IF (green_button_pressed AND sensor_1_active) THEN motor_forward_ON
[Note: If the green pushbutton is not pressed or the sensor does not detect the presence of a component, the motor start output will not be energised.]

Rewrite this again with the input/output addresses given in trhe problem:

(2) IF (I0.0 AND I0.2) Then Q0.0

This can now be drawn in Ladder code:

Sample_prog.jpg

Try it for the next sentence, and the next; the show us what you have managed to do. You probably will have to modify the first ladder rung you wrote, to take into account the logic of the motor start and stop, but this is to be expected.

Hope this helps for a first step,
Daniel Chartier

mandy said:
Conveyor System
Hi, I'm a beginner on PLC, could anyone help me.
On pressing the start button (green) the conveyor should run only if a component is detected on the conveyor, at the right hand sensor, otherwise the conveyor should be inactive and 'no component detect' (red) light should illuminates until the program is reset.

A stop (red) button is used as an overall stop and reset.

Once the component reaches cylinder 2, the cylinder energises and pushes the component into the middle parts bin. At this point the cylinder is to de-energise and a green 'component despatched' light is to be illuminated for 5 seconds. Finally the conveyor is to stop.

Develop a program for the Siemens PLC system to implement the above system.

Include in your documentation your complete annotated ladder diagram, together with a list of all inputs ant outputs used with their associated addresses.

Inputs
I0.0 Green pushbutton
I0.1 Red pushbutton
I0.2 Sensor 1
I0.3 Sensor 2
I0.4 Cylinder 1
I0.5 Cylinder 2
I0.6 Cylinder 3
I0.7 Switch 5 (on model)
Outputs
Q0.0 Motor forward
Q0.1 Green lamp
Q0.2 Red lamp
Q0.3 Reverse motor
Q0.4 Cylinder 1
Q0.5 Cylinder 2
Q1.0 Cylinder 3

Sounds a lot like a bid spec or RFQ. Do you need a quote from someone?

Hello Daniel,

Thank you mate for your suggestion. Anyway Im using siemens S7-200. My problem is when Im pressing the start button (green) the conveyor is run with component detected but after the sensor 1 the conveyor stop supposed to be pass thru the sensor 2 then cylinder 1 once the component reaches the cylinder 2, the cylinder energise and pushes the component into the middle parts of bins.

Thanks,
Mandy