RSlinx - Copy DDE/OPC link

Cryogen

I am trying to get some data from my SLC 500 PLC to excel. I have RSlinx classic single node running. I tried the edit> copy DDE/OPC link (for address: n7:0) and pasted it as a link in excel. When I do this, it shows 0 for N7:0 although I entered 10. Am I doing something wrong here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

In linx > select dde/opc > assign a new topic > browse to the processor

In Excel > double click a cell > type =rslinx|topic_name!tag

I already have a topic assigned. When I view the topic it shows a lock icon. Does that mean something?

Can you see the device in the browser window when you click the topic from within Linx? Just wondering if the Topic is still correctly associated with the relevant processor.....

Did you 'Paste Special' or just plain old 'Paste' in Excel?

Rob.

Yes, I see the processor. When I see the topic it has a lock icon on it. Does this mean something?

Also yes I used the paste link instead of Paste.

with the link pasted in excel, look in RSLinx main menu "DDE/OPC" > "Active Topics/Items..." and it should show the link being serviced.

Also, in Excel look in "Tools" > "Options" > "Calculation" tab and make sure you have the option turned on to automatically recalculate the sheet. It could be turned off in your workbook causing the problem...

with the link pasted in excel, look in RSLinx main menu "DDE/OPC" > "Active Topics/Items..." and it should show the link being serviced.

Also, in Excel look in "Tools" > "Options" > "Calculation" tab and make sure you have the option turned on to automatically recalculate the sheet. It could be turned off in your workbook causing the problem...

The link is serviced in active topics/items.
Also, excel has automatic option selected for calculation..

Still it reads 0 for N7:0 although the PLC has it as 10.

Well, it's a stretch, but could you be connected to the wrong PLC, or could the MSExcel cell formatting be screwing things up?

I doubt this helps, but I do hope you'll reply when you get it figured out!

Cryogen said:
I already have a topic assigned. When I view the topic it shows a lock icon. Does that mean something?

Whenever I have the lock icon and things aren't working, I just delete the topic and re-enter it. Almost always fixes things.

Whenever I have the lock icon and things aren't working, I just delete the topic and re-enter it. Almost always fixes things.

The new topic gets the lock sign too.. Also, sometimes when I try to paste link (through paste special), the paste link is greyed out. I need to close linx and excel twice or thrice to make it work.. Does this mean something?

I was just reading on help about configuring DDE on windows (control panel>Admin tools>services>choose automatic for network DDE and start service).. However, I am not able to start it.. It gives error if I try to start it?

Last edited:
My Network DDE is disabled. Can you give us some screen shots of your topic configuration. Someone may spot something.