RSLinx/RSLogix500 kills PC?!

supporter

Hi,

We have installed RSLinx Lite 2.xx and RSLogix500 x.xx on one of our computers. The OS is Windows XP SP2. After the installation both RSLinx and RSLogix500 works fine but as soon as we restart the computer we will get booting problems (Windows Safe mode). We have also re-installed the OS (using a ghost-image) but the same problem occured. What could be causing this problem?

Regards
//Supporter

Could be many things including bad luck and user errors...
Vhat versions of RSLinx and RSLogix 500 you tried installing?
I think current versions are 2.5x for RSLinx and v 7.xx for RSLogix500.

Try installing one at a time to narrow which one is causing it.

My guess is that Linx is causing you the problems since Linx is the program that interacts with your hardware.

Is Linx running as a service? If so, try stopping it. Go to Start - All Programs - Rockwell Software - RSLinx - RSLinx Launch Control Panel. Stop it if it's running (which will stop Linx) and uncheck Always Run As A Service. See if that helps.

What drivers do you have loaded?
The KT driver will definately cause a PC to blue-screen / crash if the wrong KT interface is selected. If you have KT drivers running, boot to safe mode, run regedit, and delete the KT key folders located at "My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Rockwell Software\RSLinx\Drivers\"

The KT driver is probably listed as 'AB_KTLIKE'. Delete the whole key folder, and try rebooting.

Been there with the KT driver before. I was able to remove the driver in safe mode in Linx without editing the registry.