PLC 5 online question

bbear

Hello,

I have used PLC's but I am now working at a site that has PLC 5's which are new to me along with most AB equipment. My question is:
Opening RS Logix5 and opening the current saved program that is running the PLC no problems but when go online is selected the program opens under an old program and it goes online with a version of the program that is active but not correct. Why is this happening and what can I do to prevent it? I do not understand why this is happening I would think it would go online with a current version of the one operating in the PLC without these problems

The offline file you are reviewing is not in a directory that is listed in the "Project Files Search Path" in the system Options dialog. When the s/w goes online, it searches the paths specified in that field and trys to match up the processor against the RSP file.

Note that when you go online, what you see on the screen is 100% accurate because RSLogix uploads the PLC memory contents. However, the descriptions and comments are not stored in the PLC and may be incorrect.

As jstolaruk said, set your communication path to point to the directory containing your most current offline file, or move the most current offline file to the path that is being used.

If you do the latter, RSLogix will still use the file it thinks is the best match based on the "last edit timestamp" value which is stored in both the PLC5 and the offline file. To get around this, move the file you don't want to go online with out of that directory or delete it. Next, you may see a screen that tells you that a matching file could not be found. It may list files that have the same processor type and name and let you choose one of them, or let you browse to a directory that contains a matching file.

Whatever the case, RSLogix will upload the file when you go online, then you can save it and next time, you won't run into this issue...unless the PLC data or program is altered from a different PC...

Hope this helps,
Paul