Slc 5/03 16k 99.906 Mem Used

Orn Jonsson

Hi fellars,

I have an SLC 5/03 with 16K CPU on a machine that I had to add a bunch of logic to. When I got the machine the memory was about 95% used. Right now I have 15 words left (after a clean up).
So with 99.90625% of the memory being used, I now have what seems to be a somewhat flaky system. When I turn on one specific input (not tied to any fancy logic), all of a sudden MOVE commands and MSG commands start skipping at somewhat a random rate.

Could the processor be compromiced by the program being so close to the memory capacity ?

This is what is in there now....
6796 Instruction words
8356 Data table words

Any suggestions..

later

Orn
Jonsson Automation

Yeah, you're going to need a different CPU, like a 5/04 or 5/05 with 32K.

I can't prove conclusively that 99.9% memory utilization will cause processor malfunction, but I certainly am not surprised, especially if you're monitoring the processor online while it's trying to run that program.

Ken,
I agree with that a larger processor memory is the way to go especially for saving programming time now and later if more changes need to be added.

Orn,
You may have already done this, but, if you have to continue with the current processor for the time being, check the data tables for minimum size, including the timer and counter tables. See if there are any unused counters or timers in between the lowest and highest ones used. If so, maybe you can re-address the higher numbered ones to go in between, then resize the tables using the properties feature. The same method could be used on all the data tables. Doing this will probably cost more in labor (time) than the replacement cost of the bigger processor.

SLC 5/03 upgrade

Thanks for your replis,

Curren processor is using DF1 on port #0 and DH485 on port#1
If I go with say the 5/04 32 K I end up with DH+ which is not compatible with the devices that are hooked up to it. Is there a good way of converting DH+ to DH485?
Or if I go with the 5/05 model I have to contend with the E port.
My local AB dude said they had a module which converted E net to DF1..

Any suggestions?

thanks
OJ

Hi. If you dont need DF1 then configure the 9 pin port on the 504 to DH485. If the 9 pin was used for programming only then put an AIC+ in the DH485 system to give you access. Regards Alan

Need both ports

Unfortunately I need two active com ports.
One for DF1 half duplex master which talks to three Delta RMC 100 motion controllers via RS485 multidropp.
The other port uses Dh485 and two Isolated link couplers (AIC modules) to talk to a touch screen and allow for programming hook-up.

I need to continue communicating to these devices, and would like to try to avoid replacing them with DH+ or Ethernet compatible devices.

OJ

Ideas only. Need more investigation.
You could use the 5/04, with the port configured as 485 and instal a (i think) 1746 KE??? module. It is a dedicated 232 module for the DF1.

A messy way
Put a micrologix (1200 maybe) onto the 485 network to do some of the work and message the result to the slc. Would need a lot of thought on what code to shift.

Regards Alan Case