simple tag server question

bulletin blues

Lifetime Supporting Member
Whats a tag server? At work I can monitor a mill on a pc set up in our control room. Allen Bradley PLC 5/40, control net and a dozen drives. Lotsa control stuff.
Sometimes I go to check out whats wrong with the mill but cant get the program to go online when the "tag server" is running.
First time, I closed the tag server and bingo, I can go online, but then I started thinking, hmmm, is our engineer gonna be going to this site saying, I keep droppin my Tag Server for no appearent reason?
So I have refrained from closing things that I know naught about and headed out to the old screwdriver on prox switch method of troubleshooting.
Im not technically proficient enough for a detailed answer, so...I'm just askin, roughly, whats this tag server doin? Seems to be a "not enough memory problem," should it be?
I'll talk to engineering if I ever get off the off shift.
Until then a little info would help. Thanx

Did it look anything like this ?
[attachment]

That's the database tag server for RSView32. It is using RSLinx to communicate with one or more controllers and serve the data it retrieves up to RSView32 stations in your system.

It shouldn't prevent you from going online with the PLC's using RSLogix 5, though, unless it's really hogging the bandwidth of the ControlNet. If that's the case, I would expect that Technical Support has already gotten a call saying "the tag server keeps shutting down all by itself".

tagserver_toolbar.gif

Hi everyone, I am experiencing a similar problem with a RSView32 Application. I am migrating a PC under XP OS that runs a RSView32 project and is connected to 3 CPU's through a RSLinx Gateway. In this computer the "tagserver" window open everytime the project runs.

I installed this project in a W7 32 bits PC. The project starts and the OPC topics that we use for signal interchange with the 3 controllers are working. The only problem is that the "tagserver" program does not start. I am using RSView32 V7.6 and RSLinx Gateway.
What could be the reason? Do I need to make a special configuration for the tagserver?

Thanks in advance