S7RTM in Step7

HansAndersen

I am wondering and would like to know what S7RTM that specified in HW-config_Station_Properties_Configuration is.How can I understand and notice whether S7RTM is installed or not on my laptop.

Thanks a lot.

S7RTM is the PC Station backplane.

This allows you to insert hardware and software "modules" into the virtual slots of the PC Station.

You can switch a PC HMI (Protool RT or WinCC Flexible RT) from using the direct drivers to using the PC Station by enabling S7RTM in the HW Config of the HMI in STEP7.

Thank you Jesper MP.In fact, I would like to establish a pc station that I will be able to control without an OPC Server or WinLC.Is that possible with just a PC station it will be installed with something I do not know.I will be installing a system inclueded 5 PLC and 3 ET-200M and subsequently 3 discret OP.I hope I could have explained my trouble.Thank you again.

Hello again Hans.

It is not clear to me why you want to setup a Simatic "PC Station".

The possible uses of a PC Station that I know of are: Protool RT, WinCC RT, WinCC Flexible RT, Programming via STEP7, WinLC, OPC Server, SAPI-S7 ("user application"). If you dont want to use one of the above then you dont have to setup a PC Station.

To install a PC Station on a target PC, you do not have to install NCM, only the Station Configurator. You can export an .xdb file from another PC with NCM to the target PC with Station Configurator. Look for the Station Configurator (german Komponenten Konfigurator) to know if you have the necessary software installed.

JesperMP said:
Hello again Hans.

It is not clear to me why you want to setup a Simatic "PC Station".

The possible uses of a PC Station that I know of are: Protool RT, WinCC RT, WinCC Flexible RT, Programming via STEP7, WinLC, OPC Server, SAPI-S7 ("user application"). If you dont want to use one of the above then you dont have to setup a PC Station.

To install a PC Station on a target PC, you do not have to install NCM, only the Station Configurator. You can export an .xdb file from another PC with NCM to the target PC with Station Configurator. Look for the Station Configurator (german Komponenten Konfigurator) to know if you have the necessary software installed.

Sorry about that If I am ponderous.Well, my real intention is to establish a pc station with the Protool RT on my laptop.I have a installed NCM software.What is the correct way of that will get me.How can I set up the Station Configurator in which I include mentioned system beforehand .Is there any explanatory sample you have or in somewhere. Thanks again.

Which "NCM" software ?
Simatic Softnet Ethernet ? Or.. ?

If you want to connect to the PLC via MPI or Profibus, then you do not need softnet. Protool comes with internal drivers for MPI and Profibus.

If you want to connect via Ethernet, you have to install softnet ethernet.
In that case there are two variants:
1. Just setup the ethernet connection in Protool, install Softnet on the PC. You do not have to set a PC Station.
2. Create am integrated project in STEP7 with Protool as a module in the PC Station. You then have to install Softnet on the target PC. Use the import .xdb function in the Station Configurator to get the Setup from the STEP7 project onto the target PC.

I think mixed...As I mentioned in my second post, my real intention is to establish a pc station with the Protool RT or winCC flexible RT on my laptop.I want to control the system that included 5 PLC, 3 et200m and 3 op with a pc station set up with protool RT over profibus.OPs will be designed in Protool.

I will install a PC in the center of mile.And that PC control everything on the PLCs located in field via profibus. I have Step7 V5.3 SP3, Protool V6.0, WinCC Flexible 2005 Advenced and CP5512.My question is what are the necesserities to manage that.

You probably have the PLCs and OPs one one Profibus net, and maybe the ET200Ms on separate Profibus net(s) for the associated masters. So you do probably not need to do any routing.
You do also not need OPC or SAPI-S7.

All this means that you do not need Softnet S7 PB (Profibus).
The internal drivers in STEP7 and Protool are enough to connect to the PLCs.

Hi jesperMP,

:)

Excuse me to create misunderstanding.I just want to operate Protool RT on my laptop and then control all process over profibus.Is that possible.

Yes it is possible.
If you do not setup a "PC Station" with Protool, then the internal drivers will be enough. Notice that you can setup the Profibus PLC connection in Protool without a PC Station.
In that case Protool uses the same S7ONLINE access point in the Set PG/PC-Interface utility as STEP7 does.
I suggest that you make a simple test and try it out.

Important question:
Are the ET200M stations on the same Profibus net as the OPs and the PC ?

Yes, all of them are on the same probibus net.I know, one way of control is to directly connect via protool RT.But can I do that with a "PC Station" with Protool.That is what I would like to find out.thanks.

As everything is on the same Profibus net, you should integrate everything in one STEP7 project. This ensures that the Profibus bus parameters are calculated correctly.
Be aware though that the cycle time of the Profibus net is increased with approximately a factor 10 when you have several masters (PLCs, OPs and PC) on the same net.
In the STEP7 project you can both decide to let the PC RT be a Simatic HMI, or part of a Simatic PC Station.

JesperMP said:
In the STEP7 project you can both decide to let the PC RT be a Simatic HMI, or part of a Simatic PC Station.

Though it has been very kind of you to give some good info.I could not acquire helpful knowledge yet.How can I do that when I decide, for instance, being part of a simatic PC.Have you got such a example.How must will it be going.Sorry for I am headache.Thanks.

OK.

1. If Protool is integrated into STEP7, then you have an entry in the STEP7 Manager to insert a "Simatic HMI station". This is the one without a "PC Station". This can be either a panel or a PC RT.

When you setup the connection in the Protool project, you probably (*) have to select "specify parameters yourself".
This because the exact details about the connection is only known when you setup the S7ONLINE access point with the Set PG/PC Interface utility.
*: Not sure, maybe you can pick the CPU directly.

2. Alternatively, if Protool RT has to be part of a PC Station, first you create the "PC Station". Then you set it up in the HW Configurator (not Station Configurator !) by adding the a Protool HMI (which you find under the PC Station in the HW Catalog). Also add the CP5512. Notice that you will need to have Simatic Softnet installed.

When you setup the connections in the Protool project you should be able to pick the CPUs directly, thereby setting the addresses and parameters automatically. This because you have everything integrated into one project.

In both the two above cases it is important that you have all PLCs, OPs, PCs, DP slaves etc. in the same project.

One stumpling stone is if you have WinCC Flexible installed on the same PC that you use for programming the STEP7 and Protool projects. The integration of Protool in STEP7 may not work if WinCC Flexible is also installed.

edit: Corrected typo in the 1st line of the description.

edit: Added info about the need for Simatic Net.

Last edited: