Swap SLC5/01 with SLC5/03

thecrow

Hi all,

Is it possible to swap an old SLC5/01 on a 7 way chassis with a new SLC 5/03. I am rewriting all software and need the battery backup RAM and extra memory. Thanks

just DH-485 for the SLC-5/01 ... but why are you asking? - since you said you were replacing it ...

if you meant to ask about the SLC-5/03 instead, it can go either way ... RS-232 or DH-485 ...

thecrow said:
Hi all,

Is it possible to swap an old SLC5/01 on a 7 way chassis with a new SLC 5/03. I am rewriting all software and need the battery backup RAM and extra memory. Thanks

There's nothing to rewrite unless you just want to... All you need to do with the program is to tell it that it's now a 5/03, then save.

The machine doesn't function as required so we are rewriting the code. However I originally planned to simply download the new code to this one existing machine but Ive since discovered its an SLC5/01 whereas I dont have a comms cable for this unit but I do have a spare processor SLC5/03.

Besides I need all counter values and some integers to be retentive when power is lost and as I understand it the SLC501 cannot do this. Is this correct?

Great site by the way. Thanks for the help.

The comm cable can is just a standard serial cable. Do a search here for the actual pinout. This is one of the most important cables you will need for all A-B processors and I am sure that all of us here carry one in our laptop case or have one readily.

I think the 501 still keeps the values when it is powered up. There is a setting somewere when configuring it about retaining last state when powered down. Double check this setting.

Mark
I made up a comms cable for RS232 which I use via a USB/RS232 interface and this works fine for the 503. Is there a subD9 programming port on the 501 and can I use this lead? I thought it only had the 'ethernet type' socket.

Since you do not have a serial port, just a USB, then you will need the 1747-UIC to connect to the 5/01, it can also be used for the 5/03.

Here's one source LINK

Plus there are at least two on Ebay LINK

If you can get a PC with a real serial port, then this is a cheaper option: LINK

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I'll dig out a straight through ethernet cable and try communicating with the 503 using the UIC. If this works I will use this on site with the 501. If not I'll prob replace the processor (prob do this anyway for reasons above)

The site is outside with rain, muck, customers and loads of other nice things happening so the easiest and quickest comms solution in order to get down to any (the) debugging is my plan.

Thanks again everyone and Ill let you know how it goes.