Displaying elapsed time on PanelView

FSPT_Tech

I'm using a SLC 5/03 with a PanelView 600 for an application that will require me to display the elapsed timed for certain functions of the operation (cycle times in lean manufacturing lingo).

I'm thinking of using timers to do this and displaying the accumulated values on my PanelView. These times will be used for information purposes only and will be reset periodically.

The problem I'm having (actually more of an inconvenience than a problem) is that RSLogix timers seem to only use 3 types of time bases:

1.0 - seconds

0.1 - tenths of a second

0.01 - hundredths o f a second

The certain cycle times I’m looking to display will be a bit long, eventually resulting in hours (around 4 to 6 hours of elapsed time). I want my PanelView to display these results in hours and minutes. But my timers are counting in seconds! I don’t want to display the accumulated time in seconds.

So do I have to create additional logic that uses timers and counters to convert these seconds to hour and minute values so that I can then display them on the PanelView?

Or is there an easier way to do this in RSLogix with other instructions I’m not familiar with. I’m trying to avoid having to incorporate some external timer hardware to achieve this as an alternative.

If converting the seconds to hours and minutes is the only way to do this in the logic, can someone send me a relatively easy example of doing this?

Thanks.

I think using timers and counters would be the easiest.

Something as simple as a 60 second timer that counts up a "minute" counter, this counter will be preset of 60, once it's done, it counts up an "hour" timer.

So the timer goes from 0-60, your seconds (probaby use a .01 base and 6000 preset for more accuracy).
The "minute" counter goes from 0-60, your minutes.
The "hour" counter goes from 0-24, your hours.

Your timer would run continuously (XIO T#:##.DN in front of it).
Your minute counter would reset when done.
Your hour counter would reset when done.

Of course, it won't be 100% accurate, but I think it'd be close enough for any lean manufacturing that is dealing with cyle times that long.

Why use a timer at all? For one thing, timers are not all that accurate, especially over long times. Over 6 hours, for example, you will have the accumulated errors of 21,600 timer periods.

Use the real-time clock seconds from S:42. Every time that value changes, fire a one shot, move the S:42 value into a compare register, and increment counters for seconds, minutes, hours, days, years, whatever.

See attached.

FSPT_Tech said:
I'm using a SLC 5/03 with a PanelView 600 for an application that will require me to display the elapsed timed for certain functions of the operation (cycle times in lean manufacturing lingo).

I'm thinking of using timers to do this and displaying the accumulated values on my PanelView. These times will be used for information purposes only and will be reset periodically.

The problem I'm having (actually more of an inconvenience than a problem) is that RSLogix timers seem to only use 3 types of time bases:

1.0 - seconds

0.1 - tenths of a second

0.01 - hundredths o f a second

The certain cycle times I’m looking to display will be a bit long, eventually resulting in hours (around 4 to 6 hours of elapsed time). I want my PanelView to display these results in hours and minutes. But my timers are counting in seconds! I don’t want to display the accumulated time in seconds.

So do I have to create additional logic that uses timers and counters to convert these seconds to hour and minute values so that I can then display them on the PanelView?

Or is there an easier way to do this in RSLogix with other instructions I’m not familiar with. I’m trying to avoid having to incorporate some external timer hardware to achieve this as an alternative.

If converting the seconds to hours and minutes is the only way to do this in the logic, can someone send me a relatively easy example of doing this?

Thanks.

I've used the following code with good results:

time_base.jpg

minutes.jpg

hours.jpg

rdrast's suggestion is going to be far more accurate than using timers and counters.

There is a reason that the realtime clock exists.

RSL

I hate to be a bother but can someone please provide a PDF Project Report of the runtime.zip rdrast provided above? I don't have any software to open the .rss extension file and I only need to see this one.

Thanks in advance! :geek: