AB Micrologix 1000 timer question

weilerot

I have an AB Micrologix 1000. It has a 1K memory. The literature says it has 40 internal timers. Does anyone know how they come up with this value? I was taught that this PLC has approximately 512 words. Based on each timer using two words then I should have 256 internal timers. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks

The ML1K is Allen Bradley's bottom dweller. Unlike other AB PLCs which have user configurable data tables, all of the data tables of this PLC are fixed in size. Each timer occupies 3 16 bit words in memory. This is the timer data size, not counting the memory occupied by the program which holds the timer instruction itself.

In a PLC when you see that it has 1K of memory, that is 1K words of memory, or 2048 bytes. In addition to 40 timers, the ML1K also has 32 words of bit files, 32 counters (3 words each), 16 instruciton control elements, 3 words each, and 105 integers, and 15 program files, leaving about 600 words for the user program - which is quite a bit as PLC programs are relatively compact.

The bottom dweller just crossed the $400.00 mark for me $408.00 to be exact. For the L32AWA. I wonder if the are jacking up the price to drive customers to other controllers so they can obsolete it?

Mark_H said:
The bottom dweller just crossed the $400.00 mark for me $408.00 to be exact. For the L32AWA. I wonder if the are jacking up the price to drive customers to other controllers so they can obsolete it?
Next time try EBay first. There it is often under $100 and sometimes under $50.

The 1761-L10BXB lists for $99. Much less I/O but this is their cheapest PLC.

If I need a brick, I never buy ML1Ks. For just a few bucks more you can get a ML1200 and get a whole lot more functionality.